Hi - cafebeard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cafebeard

Regular
After a long and reasonably successful career in the chemical industry in the north east of England I was fortunate to get the opportunity to retire at the age of 55. My retirement plan was to continue to compete as a triathlete, travel and complete my undergraduate degree which I had started when I realised that my time in the world of work was coming to an end. Unfortunately, 4 weeks after finishing work fate intervened and I was struck by a car while training on my bike. I knew almost immediately that my injuries were significant and serious enough that triathlon was not going to be an option in my retirement – a bit of a blow that to be honest.
So I was left with a choice give up endurance sports and relinquish the athletic identity I had constructed for myself as an Ironman triathlete or try to construct a new identity in a different sport, I chose the latter and switched to bike racing.

I completed my degree, BSc Sport and Exercise (Sports Studies) and surprised myself by achieving first class honours largely due to discovering and becoming fascinated by the sociology of sport. On the wave of enthusiasm after getting by results I rather hastily agreed to commit to a PhD which I began in 2013. I have just submitted my thesis for examination, I will defend it on the 17th of January 2017 and if all goes to plan I should emerge from that as Doctor Tony Rees (hopefully). I will write a blog on the whole PhD process at a later date - it has been challenging.

arch684

Veteran
Hi and welcome to the forum

Top Bottom