Hi can I interview you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I'm working on a project at school and the teacher has set us some homework to interview some people in relation to cycling.
In class we were told to design something to help improve our cycling experience. So I thought about it and came up with an idea about a object that can be used to put the chain back onto your bike so you wont get your hands oily and that would make it an easier job to do. I thought of this because I ride my bike to and from school everyday with my little brother it takes us around 20 mins and this problem frequently happens. Anyway I would be so grateful if you could answer these questions and post a reply for my school work THANK YOU

1. Do you think this is a good idea? and why?
2. Would you use this kind of product?
3. How often does your chain come off your bike?

Drago

Legendary Member
1. No. Because someone has beaten you to it...

Latex-Surgical-Gloves.jpg

2. Probably not.

3. Never.

Good luck.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Well I made a coffee table for my gcse project, which also already exists, but I still got a b.

1 . Only if you integrate it onto another product that you will carry anyway such as a pump.

2. Me, no. Mountain bikers, probably.

3. Once every 4 years.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
1 If it ever happens, I'd use a stick, or maybe a tyre lever, rather than getting my hands dirty :okay:
2 I doubt it would be something I would use
3 I can't remember the last time it happened out on the roads, many thousands of miles ago for sure. It generally happens when I'm messing about with them at home & I usually have nitrile gloves on in that case, so don't need a special too.

Good luck with the project though

Skanker

I made a wine rack for o’level woodwork (too old for gcse)

1. Not really necessary as it only takes a few seconds to put a chain back on.

2. Possibly, if it could put my 14 foot chain back onto the recumbent trike without me getting out the comfy seat.

3. Not very often unless I’m hammering through the mud and undergrowth, and then a little grease is not an issue.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
1. Well done for identifying something thst affects you and trying to determine whether it affects others. Many have made millions by this approach - well done for asking.

2. Not really. Chains coming-off on my bikes is rare. If it happens I get dirty fingers, it’s no big deal. Often a twig does the job without any mess.

3. Chains coming-off are usually as a result of poor maintenance or poor shifting technique. It’s a rare issue for me.

Good luck!

netman

Veteran
1. Yep, well done for seeing a problem - as others have said, solutions already exist, but there may be a better one.

2. I might chuck one in my tool kit if it was cheap.

3. Very rare for regular cyclists with decent bikes/components, but we may not be your target market - cheap and/or badly set up bikes may have this problem more often.

Good luck with the project...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If you do drop your chain while riding there's a Dog Fang - I think Deda market them - that prevents the chain derailling inboard from the chainring. The only times I've had to put the chain back on have been when it's dropped towards the bottom bracket.

1:- It's probably a better idea than the more normal mirror/indicator that keeps showing up.

2:- Probably not because ..........

3:- The chain only comes off if either I've done something stupid or I'm altering/changing something on the drive chain, so I can go over a year and never unship a chain.

Luck ......... :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
1, it’s a good idea but someone got funding on Dragons Den recently for a similar product.
https://www.deborahmeaden.com/investment/rehook

2. I’d use a stick

3. Once every couple of years
Interesting it’s already been done, wonder what the sales are like?
The most I’d use it would be touring on the Brompton with its double chainring and no derailieur (manual
Chain shift), but even then it’s hard to justify £12 for slightly grubby fingers once in a while...

Remounting chains can be done hands free on a bike with front derailleur if the chain has fallen onto the frame bottom bracket shell.
Slowly and lightly pedal forward and shift the front mech to the larger cog. If your chain rings have pins and ramps they will pick up the chain. Even old fashioned rings without pins and ramps will pickup the chain with a bit of care.

If it happens a lot your derailleur mechanism may need to be adjusted, it has to screws to stop travel at the high and low end. Parktools website is always a good first stop for repair procedures.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The rehook was on Dragons Den and has been quite successful. There was a thread on here which you might be able to find. Sure you can use a stick but people buy gadgets, look at those associated with the game of golf.

1. A good idea if it was cheap enough.
2. I might.
3. Very infrequently. Usually happens due to poor adjustment, damage or wear to some components.

Good luck with the project.

Last edited:
Top Bottom