hi,everyone from warm but rainy leicester! retro rides?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robert jordan

hi dudes,first time ive ever joined anything like this,so be gentle with me.im rob a 45 year old guy and a very casual cyclist dont usually bother if its raining lol.does anyone have any pics of their retro rides im looking for ideas for my next project,i currently have a modernised raleigh lizard which i love to ride let me know what you think and if you have anything similar and let me where you ride thanks guys

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.... We have one of those Raleigh lizards in the garage in need of TLC

HovR

Über Member
You've restored a mountain bike, so now the next logical thing to do is to restore a road bike? :tongue:

Dawes%20Echelon%203.JPG

A fair amount has changed since that photo. Lighting totally changed, new tires, new road saddle, new seat post, new brake hoods, new chain (it's clean, honest!), friction shifters cleaned up, brakes polished up, new cables.

Got a new rear mech in the post as well, and need to get some new bar tape.

The bike was made approx 1977, and is a Dawes Echelon. I really need to take some new photos.

Edit: Oh, and this Cycle Chat subforum may interest you, if you haven't already found it. http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/classic-and-vintage.50/

Welcome to the forums!

OP
OP
robert jordan

robert jordan

Hello and welcome to the forum.... We have one of those Raleigh lizards in the garage in need of TLC
hi thanks for your welcome message,too good a bike to be left in the garage,well worth the TLC.they are a bit heavy compared to bikes now but solidly built and i love the retro chrome wheels.i only ride about 20 miles a week i work too far away to cycle,you seem a far more serious cyclist ;-)

OP
OP
robert jordan

robert jordan

You've restored a mountain bike, so now the next logical thing to do is to restore a road bike? :tongue:

Dawes%20Echelon%203.JPG

A fair amount has changed since that photo. Lighting totally changed, new tires, new road saddle, new seat post, new brake hoods, new chain (it's clean, honest!), friction shifters cleaned up, brakes polished up, new cables.

Got a new rear mech in the post as well, and need to get some new bar tape.

The bike was made approx 1977, and is a Dawes Echelon. I really need to take some new photos.

Edit: Oh, and this Cycle Chat subforum may interest you, if you haven't already found it. http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/classic-and-vintage.50/

Welcome to the forums!
hi,thanks for the welcome,i think you are right,i quite fancy a road bike,yours is very nice ! you have done a fine job i would like to see a picture of it now .i used to own a raleigh record sprint as a teenager all black and gold.what would you recommend ? thanks for the link i will check it out. rob

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
robert jordan , most of my cycling is go to and from work doing 6 miles a day then if chance comes a 10 -20 mile tandem ride at weekends , with some short test rides in evenings when working on any bikes that need it .

always got a few rebiuld jobs on the go , ie 2 at mo with 3 more framesets and 1 complete bike waiting

HovR

Über Member
hi,thanks for the welcome,i think you are right,i quite fancy a road bike,yours is very nice ! you have done a fine job i would like to see a picture of it now .i used to own a raleigh record sprint as a teenager all black and gold.what would you recommend ? thanks for the link i will check it out. rob

Thanks! My rear mech arrived today, however I managed to not order enough outer cable, so will need to pop down to the LBS or Halfords, and then I can get that fitted. I'll try to upload some photos when I can, however I'm going away for a week to Scotland, where I'll have no/very limited internet access, so that may be delayed.

I'd personally recommend trying to find a frame made of Reynolds 531 steel, and building up onto that. 531 frames are some of the better quality retro/vintage steel frames around. The more butted (single butted, double butted, triple butted) the lighter the frame should be. Once you've got a frame, you can decide whether to build it up with vintage components, or give it a modern touch with modern styled components.

OP
OP
robert jordan

robert jordan

Thanks! My rear mech arrived today, however I managed to not order enough outer cable, so will need to pop down to the LBS or Halfords, and then I can get that fitted. I'll try to upload some photos when I can, however I'm going away for a week to Scotland, where I'll have no/very limited internet access, so that may be delayed.

I'd personally recommend trying to find a frame made of Reynolds 531 steel, and building up onto that. 531 frames are some of the better quality retro/vintage steel frames around. The more butted (single butted, double butted, triple butted) the lighter the frame should be. Once you've got a frame, you can decide whether to build it up with vintage components, or give it a modern touch with modern styled components.
hi there,thanks for the sound advice i appreciate it. hope you have a great week in sunny scotland dont worry about the pics til you get back,looking forward to seeing them though.i will start looking for a frame,take care rob

Top Bottom