Hi Everyone,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi everyone

I've been cycling for over 10yrs, 20mile a day commute with a good few longer runs at weekend.

I've tried and loved a cycling club but to be honest I wasn't the best of members, just too many other commitments to give it the time and effort it deserved. Still got a few friends I can share runs and events with but I'm better suited to being on my own.

I lost interest a couple of year ago but got back into things this year and have just got a new bike so feel rejuvenated.

jonathanw

Chorlton and the Wheelies
Hi everyone

I've been cycling for over 10yrs, 20mile a day commute with a good few longer runs at weekend.

I've tried and loved a cycling club but to be honest I wasn't the best of members, just too many other commitments to give it the time and effort it deserved. Still got a few friends I can share runs and events with but I'm better suited to being on my own.

I lost interest a couple of year ago but got back into things this year and have just got a new bike so feel rejuvenated.

Welcome to CC

We do need to see pictures of the new bike!:bicycle:

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

Just got this one when it came out the box. Couple of bits and bobs to go on. Went with Ultegra Carbon Pedals and SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle. The bike has been put aside till next year as it's a birthday gift from my wife for my 40th in January. I don't think it will see the light of day till after the salt has gone so by then I should have set it up the way I want it.

f47927c1.jpg

This is my current bike which I will now use solely for my commute in all weathers, within reason.

newbike002.jpg

My new bike is the first bike I've bought since I took it up seriously 10+yr ago. I've crashed and totaled my last two bikes (once knocked down, once my fault) and had them replaced by insurance co. Wasn't 'lucky' enough to smash this one :-) kidding of course, still there's plenty life in it yet.

jonathanw

Just posted in the carbon thread in photos

Is that the TCR advanced 1 2011? Beautiful bike

I have to say the "commuter" looks a bit nifty too

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

Yes it is. Thanks for the compliments. I road a TCR composite at the start of the year and it fitted me like a glove. I struggled to justify the expense at the time due to the fact that I wasn't sure my renewed interest was here to stay. I'm now sure it is and I returned to look at them online and happened across the offer on Wiggle. So I got an Advanced 1 for the same price as the composite I tested at the start of the year.

Yeah the 'commuter' is very light and stiff. I changed to a carbon seatpost from when that pic was taken but I'm hoping to feel a big difference in comfort from the Giant.

jonathanw

I was so tempted by the wiggle TCR 1 advanced offer of 35% off - excellent value for an amazing bike and to pay under £2k for that bike is amazing. However, went for the Bianchi infinito ultegra instead - it was the more relaxed geometry for my ageing back that swung the balance over the giant in the end. Enjoy the giant, I was a hairs breadth away from having that exact model in the medium frame size. I bet you don't wait until spring to take it for a test run one dry winter's day^_^

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

Ha Ha! We must have very similar tastes, as I looked seriously at the Bianchi. It was down to the attitude of the salesman that swung me towards the Giant. The Bianchi 'teenager' couldn't answer the simplest of questions and had zero knowledge of his product with an "I don't care if you buy it or not" attitude.

The Giant guy on the other hand took me into a private room and set the bike up for me on rollers and answered all questions knowledgeably. I phoned him before going to wiggle as he had done all the ground work, but he physically couldn't get a bike in order to price match. I would have went with him if he could have got close, but again he was great and said I should buy it online and he will do all maintenance and such on it.

One reason I started looking at new bikes was with a view to alleviating some back strain I have not connected to cycling. When I first got fitted for a bike I knew nothing so the guy said I was a 56cm frame (Trek) and that was what I rode since. The Fuji has the same geometry as Trek. I now think I may have been better suited to a 54cm. Again I'm hoping the Giant helps in this respect.

jonathanw

I know what you mean

Most charts say I should ride 56cm, but my commuter is 54cm and very comfortable. I also have an alu giant OCR 2 road bike that is 5 years old that I use for winter riding, it is a medium frame and really comfortable, about the same geometry as my 54cm commuter. It just goes to show, you need to sit on the bike and check it out, not buy it off the peg.

I guess I also made my choice based on the LBS attitude

OP
OP
S

SoloCyclist

... I bet you don't wait until spring to take it for a test run one dry winter's day^_^

Guilty. Took it out today for about 20mls. What a machine! I read all the reviews and they talk about responsiveness, steering accuracy, climbing ability and things that I wouldn't be able to articulate. But I will say this. It is an absolute joy to ride and you just want to go faster and faster. It really does inspire confidence. I just hope I can do it justice and not trash it. Climbing is fantastic on it. It honestly does feel as if everything you put into the pedal results in instant forward motion. It really is hard to describe. My new saddle is perfect. I did worry about it being so minimalist. But I needn't have worried it seems very comfortable. Still, we will see how it is over longer distances.

75019b8e.jpg

a3dbe610.jpg

e134e8a1.jpg

72ef719a.jpg

77c9d3e8.jpg

9bc201d9.jpg

Top Bottom