Hi from a Canuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Benita

Hey all. I'm over from Canada visiting. Not sure how long I'll be in the UK but plan to see some of the best areas by bike before I leave. All suggestions most welcome.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:welcome: Benita, come to beautiful Scotland!

gavgav

Guru
Canada is such an amazing place. Would love to do some cycling over there, only thing that worries me is.........THE BEARS!!

Doseone

Guru
Canada is such an amazing place. Would love to do some cycling over there, only thing that worries me is.........THE BEARS!!

If you follow this advice you should be safe.....

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Welcome from the naughty North ! Don't bother going South,all the fun and nutters are up here :wacko::biggrin:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Oi! I take exception to that second sentence, well the first bit anyway, can't disagree with the second half [he says as an exiled northerner].
Come and visit the smallest county, exceptional cycling on quiet roads [with no nutters]
He,He only teesing TF !! Still want to get over your way for a play,the last ride looked fantastic.....are you now classed as the midlands ?? Grabs coat,bike and rides like hell !:bicycle:

He,He only teesing TF !! Still want to get over your way for a play,the last ride looked fantastic.....are you now classed as the midlands ?? Grabs coat,bike and rides like hell !:bicycle:
We prefer not to be classed in England's smallest county, we are just classy. Multum In Parvo. Don't want to hijack this thread but let me know on the Rutland Ride thread if you can make any dates in July.

gavintc

Guru
Missing my Canadian wife for the next week as she is back home doing the family and friend visiting thing. I think she is in Ottawa or Kingston at the moment.

Anyway, enough of me. Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time over here - lots to see and thankfully we are not too big an island - so you should be able to see a reasonable amount. My only recommendation would be to move away from the busy and overcrowded southeast - most other places are quite pleasant. :smile:

Top Bottom