Hi from a new member

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ninah

Hi there,

I have joined because I am looking to start cycling to lose a lot of weight and I need some advice. I have a really bad Halfords bike in the shed, it has never worked and I just don't like riding it. It also broke when hubby tried to raise the seat, apparently you are supposed to take it back to get the seat raised.

I would like a new bike but I don't know what type would be best. I used to own a gazelle (I think, or Emmelle, something like that) racer in the late 80's before I could drive and I went everywhere on it, but now I am a lot heavier, so I don't know if I could manage a racing bike. I am struggling on mountain type bikes as I find they force me to lean forward too much, I don't like that at all, I end up kneeing myself.

I guess I would like a quality bike without paying too much for it, and I don't mind 2nd hand if I can find it. But I don't know where to begin, any advice received gratefully.

Nina

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Hi Nina,

There are loads of folk on here far better qualified than me to advise on suitable bikes but, in the meantime, welcome to the forum :biggrin:

Alan Whicker

Hi Nina, welcome to CC.

Who told you that you have to take a bike back to get the seat raised? :biggrin:

What kind of budget do you have?

I used to ride a mountain bike on the road - i liked it but I know what you mean. Have a look at hybrid/city type bikes. Most manufacturers have at least a couple in their range, at varying price points, starting at about £250 (Evans are selling some of the well-liked Globe range with a hundred quid off at the moment). Unless you spend a lot of time off-road you don't need front suspension. Go to a decent, proper bike shop if you can. Does your employer run the tax-free cycle to work scheme?

Do you have a branch of Decathlon near you? Some of their bikes are incredible value.

You can tailor searches on ebay to find bikes near you. Small ads in local papers are also often a goldmine, and so are municipal recycling centres.

OP
OP
N

ninah

Well I made a false statement, it is the handlebars that you cannot adjust at home and have to take the bike back to H+++fords for them to do. Currently the bike is sat in the shed and there it will stay until I can fathom out how to fix it.

I have looked at all of those great links thank you. I decided on a specialized bike, globe vienna 2, and I tried to buy it from Evans cycles in Salford. I have no order number, not paid a deposit, and not heard from them since last thursday when I tried to get the bike ordered, so I will update on how this develops. Somehow I think they are trying to hold me as a client until a bike appears as all the specialized stockists with £100 off the bikes are selling out, not sure whether I should wait any longer or try and get one from elsewhere.

I always have to be the one who has complications lol :rolleyes:

Nina

OP
OP
N

ninah

Well after messing about trying to get a new bike I decided to take the old one to the LBS and see if they could fix / raise the handlebars. Also booked a service to get the gears sorted out and collected the bike this morning. Cost me £50 but over £20 was for a part to raise the handlebars. It's great, handling like a different bike, and I managed to ride a couple of miles today, probably about 3. Onwards and upwards I think :smile:

(The bike is a carrera Vulcan bought before they had disc brakes. Red and silver, looks the part but until the new part was fitted I hated it).

Thanks for all the advice :smile:

bauldbairn

Well after messing about trying to get a new bike I decided to take the old one to the LBS and see if they could fix / raise the handlebars. Also booked a service to get the gears sorted out and collected the bike this morning. Cost me £50 but over £20 was for a part to raise the handlebars. It's great, handling like a different bike, and I managed to ride a couple of miles today, probably about 3. Onwards and upwards I think :smile:

(The bike is a Carrera Vulcan bought before they had disc brakes. Red and silver, looks the part but until the new part was fitted I hated it).

Thanks for all the advice :smile:

Many of our members on CC have Carrera bikes and speak highly of them. :thumbsup:

Does this mean your not buying the Specialized Globe Vienna II now??? :sad:

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
:welcome: to the mad house Ninah

Well if you now like your old Carrera, there's no need to buy a new one just yet, so I'd spend as much time as possible riding the Carrera, to get that little bit fitter, then maybe a little further down the line consider a new bike (give you time to save up )

I have a Carrera and IMHO they're a cracking bike for the price, ideal for beginners and people wanting to get back into cycling again, cheap and robust (If you don't have Halfords set it up)  :boxing:

Have fun and enjoy cycling again

Norm

Top Bottom