Hi from a newbie :D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Hi & :welcome:
I love Lymington. We come down to the New Forest a few times a year for the nice flat riding :smile: Burley last time out. Hoping to move South in the not too distant future.

Where will you be riding? roads, forest path cycleways etc? +1 on the Hybrid suggestion. What sort of budget were you thinking of? That's quite important when buying a bike.
There is a Decathlon at Harbour Parade in Southampton, which would probably be well worth a look for you. Great bikes at good prices. The quality is fine and you could well find what you are looking for there. B'Twin Hybrid from just shy of £200. Not best light and their is an upper weight limit of 100kg but it's one of those go anywhere, do anything jobbies that might be just what you are after.

busman

Hello and welcome to the forum

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Hi & :welcome:
I love Lymington. We come down to the New Forest a few times a year for the nice flat riding :smile: Burley last time out. Hoping to move South in the not too distant future.

Where will you be riding? roads, forest path cycleways etc? +1 on the Hybrid suggestion. What sort of budget were you thinking of? That's quite important when buying a bike.
There is a Decathlon at Harbour Parade in Southampton, which would probably be well worth a look for you. Great bikes at good prices. The quality is fine and you could well find what you are looking for there. B'Twin Hybrid from just shy of £200. Not best light and their is an upper weight limit of 100kg but it's one of those go anywhere, do anything jobbies that might be just what you are after.

The idea is mostly roads... Just going from home to town and back and maybe do a bit of exploring... I've lived in Lymington for two and a half years and I barely know the area... I will go to Decathlon next week after work and see what I can find. Thanks!

Sharky

Guru
Drove through the New Forest on the way to the ferry last year and will be doing later this month. Passed a fascinating hotel - The Pennyfarthing Hotel and one of the pictures from their website, even more fascinating

lyndhurst-newforest-hotel-1.jpg

By the way - don't recommend getting a pennyfarthing!

Good luck

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Hiya and welcome.

Occasional angry nimby mobs aside, the New Forest is a fab place for bike riding and a sensible hybrid will cover most of the on-road and off road options. +1 for decathlon at Scum. Lots of bike for sensible money.

If you get a taste for it, take time to explore further afield as I think 'ampshire is one of the most varied and interesting places to explore on two wheels.

The idea is mostly roads... Just going from home to town and back and maybe do a bit of exploring... I've lived in Lymington for two and a half years and I barely know the area... I will go to Decathlon next week after work and see what I can find. Thanks!

... and of course from Lymington you have the ferry to Yarmouth, and the Isle of Wight is wonderful cycling country

Just a couple of routes from Yarmouth

Route 1

Route 2

IIRC correctly

The Portsmouth to Fishbourne Ferry was the most expensive ferry (per mile) in the world, followed closely by the Hayling Island Ferry

OP
OP
amaquima

amaquima

Regular
Hiya and welcome.

Occasional angry nimby mobs aside, the New Forest is a fab place for bike riding and a sensible hybrid will cover most of the on-road and off road options. +1 for decathlon at Scum. Lots of bike for sensible money.

If you get a taste for it, take time to explore further afield as I think 'ampshire is one of the most varied and interesting places to explore on two wheels.

Yeah, I get people asking me if I've been to X or Y place or assuming I've been somewhere and I just feel like I´m missing out so much!
Btw, I read about the mobs! Ridiculous! But then again, I do live in the town that said no to Argos, so not surprising.

Yeah, I get people asking me if I've been to X or Y place or assuming I've been somewhere and I just feel like I´m missing out so much!
Btw, I read about the mobs! Ridiculous! But then again, I do live in the town that said no to Argos, so not surprising.

I have been cycling for some 50 years and have been to a few places.

As you get more adventurous it becomes more fun.

I went to a Conference in Glasgow

I suggested a couple of pubs, and was asked if I had been there before, or done much cycling in the area

It is with a smug feeling that I replied:

Yes ......I have cycled here from Portsmouth along the South Coast to Kent then along the East Cost, to Edinburgh and across to here....... and then back again via Bristol, Penzance and the South Coast

That shut the critics up!

Theother thing is a private joke between SWMBO and myself whenever we see a TV programme, and look at each other with a look that says "we have cycled through there"!

Top Bottom