Hi from a very nervous newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shazzamcf

Hi all, just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm loving this site.:biggrin: I have decided that as I've turned 40 I need to get fit doing something I enjoy so thought I should come back to cycling. I have a rusting MTB in the shed and to be honest it's too heavy so I'm looking for something lighter to get me up all the hills I live around. Have narrowed it down to 3 using all the advice on here (Ridgeback velocity, Carrera subway,TRek) so hoping to go to on of the LBS and see what I like. Haven't used these types of forums before hence why I'm nervous....so Hi and thanks for any advice.:wacko:

JNR

Whatever you do, make sure you spend the money on good shorts, your bum will be much happier after time in the saddle! Have you thought about getting a drop bar road bike? I find the position on them more comfortable, they are faster and because you can either go on the flat bars, the hoods or the drops, you can change your hand and bum position on the seat for more comfort. I'd never go back from a road bike personally and if I got a winter bike, I'd still get a road bike!

JNR

shazzamcf said:
Thanks for that advice, forgot about how sore I'm going to be !!!

Me too! I've just started on a road bike after years of struggling with MTBs and the difference is amazing. Particularly with the drop bars. My hands are sore after almost a week of doing 10 miles an evening and it's really nice to be able to switch positions. I can also move my bum back a bit and shift my weight.

I wouldn't recommend going out on it every day for long(ish) journeys, at least not at first. I did that thinking I was invincible but my legs gave up yesterday. I could have injured myself doing that so I'm going to listen to my head and take rest days from now on.

bauldbairn

shazzamcf said:
Hi all, just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm loving this site.:smile:

Hello and Welcome to the CC forums. :biggrin:

I'm sure we'll all do our best to help you spend your money sensibly on the right bike. :biggrin:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome aboard. Don't forget, any miles you put in on the rusty MTB will count for double when you switch. And the combination of easy balance/upright stance/low gearing that MTBs offer will be great for getting your road / spidey sense back.

Alan Whicker

You're in safe hands here, shazzamcf. The wealth of expertise and advice on CC is incredible. I returned to regular cycling at the age of 40 and haven't looked back.

OP
OP
S

shazzamcf

Thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome...I think I'm going to get addicted to this site !! Going bike shopping tomorrow and I feel like a little kid I'm so excited. DavieB I noticed that as well it must have been the nice weather last week in Glasgow thats got us all joining this. Sx

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
After the padded shorts, put a pair of mitts with gel pads on the palms on your shopping list. They make a whole lot of difference as regards comfort.

Oh, and welcome!

postman

Legendary Member
Alan Whicker said:
You're in safe hands here, shazzamcf. The wealth of expertise and advice on CC is incredible. I returned to regular cycling at the age of 40 and haven't looked back.

Well i suggest you do !! theres a tail back of 10 miles .

He he only joking

A big welcome to all newbies .Hope you enjoy yourselves .

Top Bottom