hi from a wannabe needing help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I'm trying to ditch the car and go on my own steam, but I need some advice first. I'm very fit, but haven't ridden anything in 15years and I'm looking at a 20mile each way commute through Glasgow.
Is this distance unrealistic, or im right in thinking a tough 90 minutes or so??
Also I have no idea what I should be buying. How much do i need to spend and what specifications should i be looking for/avoiding?
Apologies for such amature questions, all help greatfully appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
wow loads of questions with loads of differant answers .

i would suggest a nice pre owned bike to make sure you enjoy it first , do you go for a hybrid.road or mtb that all depends on route you are riding and seeing as you say 20 miles through Glasgow i presume you meen road miles , so it would make sense to go for a road bike , then do you go fixed, singlespeed or geared !

see loads of questions with different answers , i am sure somebody else will come along and say other answers .

just enjoy whatever you choose , i know what i would choose but i am not you

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :smile:

A 40 mile round trip is a pretty big commute especially if youre thinking about doing that 5 days a week, youd have to get your body used to it even if youre fit, in terms of getting used to riding position, building cycling endurance and comfort. Youd probably want changing facilities at work too. :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
Even if you're fit cycling uses different muscles to walking, running etc so beware and try and borrow a friends bike for a trial run. As above you will really need a road bike and maybe a few practice rides [after all you don't want to turn up at work after the first run gasping like a 90 year old chain smoker !]. One last thing is wherever you park [unless you can put it by your desk/workbench] you WILL need a GOOD lock [or two].

OP
OP
J
That's great. Shower facilities at work and i can lock bike there easily enough.
So im looking for a geared, 2nd hand road bike? Anything else i should know/look to and how much will i need to spend?
Is 90 minutes a fair bet once I'm conditioned to it? It will likely be three times a week but can start gradually.and work up to it.
What's the advantage of a fixed gear?

fossala

Guru
I could do 20 miles in around 65-70 mins. On the way home I quite often boost my commute to 20.

Part time cyclist

Über Member
Welcome to the forum, for a town commute I would look at a hybrid, I have the specialized Sirrus and thoroughly recommend it 20 miles in traffic and you are lpoking at about 90 mins to start with I recon

Hi all, I'm trying to ditch the car and go on my own steam, but I need some advice first. I'm very fit, but haven't ridden anything in 15years and I'm looking at a 20mile each way commute through Glasgow.
Is this distance unrealistic, or im right in thinking a tough 90 minutes or so??
Also I have no idea what I should be buying. How much do i need to spend and what specifications should i be looking for/avoiding?
Apologies for such amature questions, all help greatfully appreciated.

Hi Jonneyenglish I stay in renfrew and work in inchinnan but I do a 20 mile trip before work and a 30 mile after work every day and also some more on a friday afternoon and saturday and sunday, I started with a MTB but found that to be too heavy, so moved on to a hybrid for a while but then got myself a road bike and would never go back to any of the other two unless it was through the winter, my 20 mile takes me about 1hour 15 mins and my 30 miles takes me 1 hour 50 mins taking in to account all the lights, I use endomondo as a tracker ( free app for your phone) if you use the same search sam low and check the routes... did 53 miles before work this morning but as someone has already said you do need to build this up as in the beginning it was hard but fairly easy now, good luck... check out if your company does cycle to work scheme for making it cheaper for yourself.. but would buy a good road bike something like a specilized allez to begin with

Top Bottom