Hi from Bucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

utccman

Hi all

Just a note to say hello from a new member near High Wycombe :hello: .
Have been riding on and off (more off than on) for a few years on an MTB but realised over the winter that this style was my worst excuse to ride more. Usually like to ride on road after work a few evenings a week and perhaps get in a cycle path or canal/river towpath once or twice a month. Just bought myself a Boardman Hybrid Comp and words are nearly failing me. Over the moon - the lightness of it is unreal. Very hilly round here and found myself going up hills (or slopes as I have not tackled the big ones yet!) with ease and I know I am unfit at present. This bike will definitely make me want to use it more. Looking forward to tomorrow evenings few miles already :biggrin: .

utccman

Rebel Ian

Evening and welcome!

You're a brave man cycling around Wycombe with those hills! In the last year I've been out that way and cycled up Windsor Hill at Bourne End (quite steep), Bledlow Ridge (pretty steep) and the road that runs up to Highcrest School (absurdly steep!).

Happy cycling.

Norm

Greetings from a few miles south.

Ian, I was going to say that it's Winter Hill, not Windsor Hill, but you might be thinking of the climb east from Wooburn Green. I was working in Wooburn very near the bottom of that hill last year, but I haven't tried it on the unmotor-bike.

OP
OP
U

utccman

Hey
Know those hills well. I grew up round here so have to accept the hills will outlive me! Although to be truthful having to ride these hills makes them easier in the long run. Bledlow is the closest you mentioned to me and that is on the challenge for a few months time. I will probably rejoin the CTC (was last a member in another lifetime) and that would mean tackling all the hills at some stage or other - apparently they even have a hill climb day (!)

Thanks for the welcome.

Rebel Ian

Greetings from a few miles south.

Ian, I was going to say that it's Winter Hill, not Windsor Hill, but you might be thinking of the climb east from Wooburn Green. I was working in Wooburn very near the bottom of that hill last year, but I haven't tried it on the unmotor-bike.

Norm, yes, it's Windsor Hill - the one that runs from uphill from Wooburn Green. It's a horrid road to cycle up. Steep, narrow and horribly rutted surface!

Norm

Yup, that one is Windsor Hill.

Winter Hill is just the other side of Bourne End.

I can't see why anyone would do Windsor Hill on a bike, when the run down through Bourne End and Cookham to Maidenhead is firstly flat and secondly, going home for me. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

It isn't even good on the motorbike, although it does lead into the Beeches. :thumbsup:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome to the forum, their are a couple of other new members to the forum from High Wycombe, klaus and Munchkin100, maybe you could contact them for some local rides?

Klaus

Welcome from another Wycombe resident - just near the town centre but half way up the Pastures .... last Monday been up to Bledlow Ridge, via West Wycombe Slough Lane, worst hill I have been trying a few times, a wedding weekend doesn't help! And my bike weighs a ton. My other pet hill (or slope?) is the A40 from Loudwater to Beaconsfield, I can do that one now without stopping .....
Anyway, good luck with the hills !!!

lilolee

Veteran
Just joined.

I'm in Maidenhead and plan on doing some of the hills in the area. Did Windsor Hill once, and once is enough.

Cheers - Lee

Madcyclist

I'm not that far away from you all in Aylesbury, maybe a ride would be good at some point. I love the challange of riding fixed in the Chilterns, hope that doesn't put you all off !!

Hi and welcome, Milton keynes here but talking part in the children 100 soon which uses some of those hill to torture the riders. Check it out online and take part.

See you there?

Top Bottom