Hi from Bucks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Munchkin100

Hi there, im from your area too, dont mention the hills! Its hard to avoid any if you ride out from home, Im top of the hill at Penn. I have just bought a new bike too after years of MTBing through woods and tow paths and struggling on my antique Raleigh on the roads, I wont knock it though they have done a good job. Only you realise how much further you can go, or quicker you can get there when you do the same route on a new bike. Well off to plan my route for today good luck utc if you need an equally unfit, born again cyclist, you will probably pass me on the hills :-) you cant miss me usually in pink..... thats my face with exhaustion and determination! Shout hi :-)

Rebel Ian

I had reason to go from Little Marlow to Tylers Green last night (fortunately in the car) and there were a couple of absolute stinkers that I'm not sure it's even possible to cycle up - one was Cock Lane (going up to Tylers Green) and the other was Spring Lane which heads back out towarsd the M40.

I might have to build them into a training routine just to see if I can get up them.

Klaus

I had reason to go from Little Marlow to Tylers Green last night (fortunately in the car) and there were a couple of absolute stinkers that I'm not sure it's even possible to cycle up - one was Cock Lane (going up to Tylers Green) and the other was Spring Lane which heads back out towarsd the M40.

I might have to build them into a training routine just to see if I can get up them.

A while ago I was driving down Cock Lane towards the A40 and saw someone cycling up, very slowly. It's doable ....

Norm

I've got a friend who lives on that side of Wycombe, I get a nose bleed going up Cock Lane on the motorbike. :biggrin:

Wasn't there a ski slope on Spring Lane at one point?

OP
OP
U

utccman

Close - the ski slope was actually the next road along - Abbey Barn Lane - another absolute stinker but truthfully all the hills are do-able albeit very slowly. As a kid I used to ride up Amersham Hill Wednesday evenings on my way to Little Missenden for CTC meetings. Must have been much fitter then because never ever pushed the bike even if I decided to use Hamilton Road (Hill). Makes me shudder now just to think of it.......

Norm

Seems there's a few of us in the Maidenhead, Slough, Wycombe area. Maybe a Sunday ride beckons?
If you fancy a Saturday ride, I have it from a trusted source that there will be one heading our way from London in about 4 weeks. :thumbsup:

Rebel Ian

Close - the ski slope was actually the next road along - Abbey Barn Lane - another absolute stinker but truthfully all the hills are do-able albeit very slowly.

Just checked the map - it was Abbey Barn Lane I drove up, not Spring Lane. I might head out that way and cycle up there on Saturday :smile:

Madcyclist

I'm pleased I checked up on this thread, I'd forgotten about Cock Lane, an old favourate from my HWCC days 20 years ago. Now I wonder if I fancy a trip down memory lane tomorrow morning :biggrin::biggrin:

Last weekend I struggled up Bollocks Farm Lane from the A40 towards Wheeler End, first time up that one for a few years. Comparing the profiles on Bikeroutetoaster, Cock Lane might be a fraction easier. Decisions, decisions !!

lilolee

Veteran
It certainly feels like there are enough of us masochists to have a meet up and ride. I know we all say we will, but we must. Even if it's the just once a month.

So how about a meet and a 40 miler on the first Sunday of each month? That would make it the Sunday 5th June. How about Wyevale, Pump Lane, Marlow? That way those from Wycombe side start with a hill and those from Maidenhead end with one if we loop around Wycombe. Something like this http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/34256776

Rebel Ian

It certainly feels like there are enough of us masochists to have a meet up and ride. I know we all say we will, but we must. Even if it's the just once a month.

So how about a meet and a 40 miler on the first Sunday of each month? That would make it the Sunday 5th June. How about Wyevale, Pump Lane, Marlow? That way those from Wycombe side start with a hill and those from Maidenhead end with one if we loop around Wycombe. Something like this http://www.mapmyride...s/view/34256776

I've been out early this morning and done 50 miles taking in Windsor Hill, Whitepit Lane (Wooburn Gn to Flackwell Heath - what an absolute stinker that is), Marlow Hill to Wycombe and Bledlow Ridge. Got almost as far as Thame (25 miles then turned round and cycled back over them the other way. 2500 feet of climbing (done very very slowly) over 50 miles.

That Whitepit Lane hill is just horrid. 20% incline! I had to stand up and lean over the front wheel to stop the bike tipping up and falling backwards it was that bloody steep!

Your route looks great - am definitely up for that ride on 5th June although I wouldn't be able to do the July one - it's the day I start LEJoG!!

Rebel Ian

Ian nice route. I can't do Whitepit Lane. Just not strong enough to keep going. In my defence my lowest is a 42 x 25, but not sure I could even do it on a compact.

I have made my proposition a bit more formal here http://www.cyclechat...-ride-5th-june/

Cheers - Lee

Under normal circumstances I couldn't do it either - it's only that I was being particularly bloody minded coupled with lots of recent training. Plus I was hardly flying up. Had there been pedestrians they would have overtaken me
I'll go and add my name to the list on the other thread.

Top Bottom