Hi from Bury Lancs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keabo

Hi, joined a little while ago, first time poster. I got on here to dig around for info on Peugeot bikes from the 1980s as I decided to get hold of one and restore it. What a can of worms I opened, all good fun. I had no idea you couldn't just pop into a modern bike shop and buy new bearing races for 1" headsets, or Helicomatic freewheels! Live and learn.

The Peugeot is a fun project and an addition to my modern bike fleet of Dolan carbon road bike, Genesis Croix de Fer, and Voodoo Hoodoo MTB.

I'll post some pictures and some questions/parts wanted in a while once I am allowed to attach pictures to my posts.

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi, joined a little while ago, first time poster. I got on here to dig around for info on Peugeot bikes from the 1980s as I decided to get hold of one and restore it. What a can of worms I opened, all good fun. I had no idea you couldn't just pop into a modern bike shop and buy new bearing races for 1" headsets, or Helicomatic freewheels! Live and learn.
I have one complete with helicomatic hub. Happy to share experiences, even with someone for the wrong side of t'pennines.

there is plenty of advice on the vintage part of the forum.

Welcome from up t'road in Bolton :hello:

@biggs682 of this 'ere parish has some links to sites for information on old Pugs, IIRC.

I've done a couple myself. The helicomatic hubs I do recall being an issue, I solved this one by doing a resto conversion to a modern 10 speed, and also 24mm seatposts :wacko: I managed to find new ones as I like a long seat post, but they are like rocking horse poop!

and I solved this one by doing a single speed resto job.

Hope you don't mind me putting these pics on, just thought they might give you some ideas.

Be careful though, resto's can become a bottomless rabbit hole, and if you've any thoughts of resale then keep spend to an absolute minimum.

I blew my brains on these two TBH. The single speed was too small if I'm honest, but I got some commuting use out of the 10 speed.

OP
OP
keabo

keabo

Thanks all for the warm welcome and tips. My acquisition is a 1986 or 87 Tourmalet, it's a bit of an oddity as it has an HLE label and burgundy paint but is otherwise specced exactly like the one in the 1986 catalogue, including the 24mm 'Polyamide' seatpost. The paint is in quite rough condition with lots of imperfections that look like they would have been there from new, as well as plenty of wear and tear.

I'll get over to the Vintage section and put some pictures up.

@smokeysmoo those bikes look stunning!

Top Bottom