Hi from Cambridgeshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Katydid

Hi all, I'm a fair-weather occasional cyclist looking to do a bit more, once I get myself a new bike. My current ride is a horrible welded gas-pipe women's hybrid 21" frame, with nasty chunky tyres, which I got only so I could mount a child seat on the back and didn't want to kick my son in the face when I got on the bike. It's one nice feature is the indexed gears which are preferable to the rather vague front and rear changers I was used to.

It was a sad come-down from the lovely Claud Butler 22" tourer that I had in the late 80s until someone stole it.

Now I don't have to drag children around on my bike any more as they are self propelling ese days, and I am looking to get myself something that is nice to ride. I am tall (6'), female but prefer a men's frame, definitely want mudguards, and most probably drop handlebars. I also have a slightly dodgy left shoulder following an injury 14 years ago.

Would prefer not to spend a fortune as the children will be off to university soon and hence most dosh will be going to keep them in beer money. Can probably run to £1000; would prefer to spend no more than half of that.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome :cheers:

Knowing the kind of riding you do might help people suggest a good fitting bike, if its all on road, mostly on road, mostly cyclepaths, trails, some mud, and if its to be used for leisure, club riding, fitness, shopping etc. :smile:

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and welcome
There'is plenty of bikes to be had in your price range. Take a look around at the bike retailer web sights and try out your local bike shops.
If you find something you fancy , come back and tell us and I'm sure someone will be able to offer you advice on your chosen steeds.
Good hunting.

OP
OP
K

Katydid

Thanks for the quick replies! I live about 7 miles out of Cambridge (so pretty flat countryside) and would like to cycle in and out comfortably... Perhaps the odd bit of shopping. Mainly at weekends, and also longer rides to pubs on Sundays. I also plan to get out on it a couple of evenings a week, for some exercise, working up to about 15 miles. Roads and cycle paths, not too much mud if I can help it.
Also, some commuting to work, where I will need to carry a laptop.

Hiya from up the road :hello:

Top Bottom