Hi from Doncaster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dazzyt66

Regular
Hi all,

I’m Daz, 52 but retired early a couple of years ago (due to an understanding wife with a good job) and am now able to do the stuff I enjoy in my spare time as a house husband - so recently I’ve dusted off my Boardman Road Sport and hit the South Yorkshire area over the last few weeks.

I’m looking to tweak the bike to be more of a hybrid (due to a mixture of roads and paths) so will no doubt be looking for advice here!

rugby bloke

Veteran
Welcome aboard ! You will find plenty of good advice here.

I'm an ex Donny lad now living in the wilds of the East Midlands. Enjoy your retirement and make the most of the fantastic South Yorkshire countryside, only ever appreciated by those that have lived there.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome:

The easiest options to move to a hybrid are a wider cassette (may need a long cage 8 speed derailleur) and wider tyres, if the frame will take them. Changing the bars/shifters alters the set-up and can be expensive.

screenman

Legendary Member
Welcome, despite living the far side of Lincoln Doncaster is considered our local shops as they are far better, Tammy's in trendsetters some beating for good value grub.

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
:welcome:

The easiest options to move to a hybrid are a wider cassette (may need a long cage 8 speed derailleur) and wider tyres, if the frame will take them. Changing the bars/shifters alters the set-up and can be expensive.

I hadn’t thought of gearing as I like the way it performs currently, but like the idea. I am planning to replace the 23c with 28c (which is the max recommended for my cxp22 rims), I’ve replaced the saddle already and flipped the stem to give me a more upright ride - although I would like to replace the drops at some point I think the cost may be a factor though. I’ve thought about front suspension too, but again, may not be worth it if the larger tyres do the job :smile:

Thanks for the reply!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I hadn’t thought of gearing as I like the way it performs currently, but like the idea. I am planning to replace the 23c with 28c (which is the max recommended for my cxp22 rims), I’ve replaced the saddle already and flipped the stem to give me a more upright ride - although I would like to replace the drops at some point I think the cost may be a factor though. I’ve thought about front suspension too,

If you're looking for flat bars and suspension that'd be an entirely different bike: n+1 time

OP
OP
Dazzyt66

Dazzyt66

Regular
Welcome aboard ! You will find plenty of good advice here.

I'm an ex Donny lad now living in the wilds of the East Midlands. Enjoy your retirement and make the most of the fantastic South Yorkshire countryside, only ever appreciated by those that have lived there.

I did it the other way round. Born n raised in Birmingham and then married a Yorkshire lass. Have lived in North and South Yorkshire but love it round here - and the Peaks are only 40mins or so away - perfect!

Top Bottom