Hi from fenland

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sddpc

Hi all
The name is steve, just thought i'd get more involved in the cycling community now i've "passed" what friends and family were saying is a mid life crises!! (40 years old now).

Where to start?

24 years ago i got a job and cycled everywhere on a tourer bike.
Bought a mountain bike and a road bike, went out every saturday for 60-80 mile rides, joined the wisbech wheelers aged 18,
did my first ten mile time trial in 28.10 (in jeans!!). Attended a few more 10 miler runs after that.
Then started driving lessons, got a car, sold two bikes and dumped the other on the compost heap!!

22 years later my doctor is getting concerned my asthma is getting worse and said i really ought to start exercising more!!

So in january i drove to hunstanton and walked to brancaster then i used the bus to get back to the car.
Basically i walked a "little" 15-23 mile section of the norfolk coast every week until mid march. (From hunstanton to bacton so far).

Then i decided to retrieve the bike from the compost heap, clean the frame down bare, respray it, throw loads of new bits at it and start cycling again!! (I'm an engineer by trade and i'm rather proud of my little restoration).

Since then i haven't been away from the bike for more than 48 hours!!

It's a heavy beast, being one of the first mountain bikes made by raleigh, although its now got slimline slick tyres, racing rims
(with flattened spokes), a front chainset from a raleigh racing bike (i had to grind a bit off the left hand crank as it was colliding with
the frame), seven speed cogs on the back, with top gear being very tall geared for this lump of iron!!

There's also a few other bling bits added (my walking sat-nav and a basic speedo with heart-rate monitor), the main thing is this
41 LB beast is causing me to loose weight and i'm definatly getting fitter as i can hold my breath for 90 seconds and have a resting heart-rate in the early morning of 52bpm.

In march i rode 8 miles in 84 minutes, and had aching legs for two whole days. (weighing 18 stone 2 lb).
More recently i've ridden 68 miles in 7 hours 12 mins ... and didn't really have any aches or pains the next morning!!

Now at 14 stone 12 lb .... and when i get down to 13 stone i'm going to treat myself to a proper racing bike (my incentive).

Here are a few pics of my heavyweight bike taken in march/april, which is as aerodynamic as a brick ... there's no escape from the fenland
winds!! (The wheels, tyres and pedals have since been changed as well).

I think i can call this a hybrid??

02042010186.jpg

02042010187.jpg

100_3541.jpg

100_3544.jpg

100_3547.jpg

Klaus

Hi Steve, great story - nice bike - nice workshop! All the best in your endeavours. I have started cycling in a small way this spring done about 350 miles since then, just on a city bike exploring the countryside. Been cycling in Germany when I was young, just everyday journeys not as a sport. Since then wedded to the car for 30 years. Good way to re-gain fitness, I am 52, 5'8", 13 stone, all the weighing machines tell me I am obese don't feels like it. And I feel better having the exercise. Keep on riding!
Klaus

Midnight

Hi Steve, and Welcome :hello:

An interesting story, and congrats on the weight loss. You've done a great job on that bike mate, but that workshop is far too clean - OCD? :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

sddpc

Thanks guys!!

Those old raleigh frames really do seem to stand the test of time.
As i said, my one was retrieved from the end of the garden, and after a clean up and close inspection i decided
it had not suffered from any corrosion. (Are they high carbon steel??)

Anyways, i'm off the explore the rest of the forum ... i will post some "current" pictures of my bike in the relevent area
as it looks quite sparkling now it has some proper skinny wheels on.

P.S: Its not OCD ... its called "finding something-anything to do just so you can hide from the family".:laugh:

Top Bottom