Hi from Glasgow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Loueese

I'm an old lady (70) who has done some light duty cycling in the past (latest was 2018). Unfortunately, my last bike (a Pinnacle Cobalt 1) was stolen :'( which put me off getting another. However, I've got over it now and there are many cycle paths around where I live so I want to get another bike and make use of the local options. Having just joined this forum, I don't know my way around it yet, so please be patient with me! Anyway, I'm looking to get a new bike but it's not easy choosing one. The Cobalt 1 was ok, but I have to admit, it was really a bit heavy for me. That's because I have to carry it up and down two flights of stairs which for a little old lady like me is tricky, if not dicey! What I really want/need is something in between a heavy-ish hardtail and a lightweight road bike so any advice, suggestions will be gratefully received. It's annoying that it can be quite hard to get the weight info for a particular bike even though it's important for me to know! Well, it is for me!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Welcome - lovely to have you with us.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

I should think a road bike of some description should fit the bill . I have an old Trek road bike (aluminium frame) I use on the trails and what passes for roads here. My MTB is more comfortable off road but I wouldn't want to cart it up or down stairs.
Or how about a non suspension fork hybrid?

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It's annoying that it can be quite hard to get the weight info for a particular bike even though it's important for me to know!
Sadly that can sometimes be the case. When not provided on the dealer/manufacturer website, I invariably try a search engine using the bike model and adding the word 'weight' e.g. 'Pinnacle Cobalt 1 weight' - that sometimes works. There's also a website https://99spokes.com/en-GB which attempts to catalogue all the useful stats and figures for different bike models. Although it doesn't always have the weight - bikes are sometimes configurable with different componentry so it's not possible to give a single weight - it does allow you to compare different bikes side-by-side.

Good luck with your search 👍

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi and :welcome:

I had a quick look around and I reckon your old bike probably weighed around 12.5 kg. That IS fairly heavy. For comparison, my large sized CAADX (cyclocross/gravel bike) only weighs 10 kg.

You ought to be able to find something similar in a smaller size that weighs 10 kg or less, which would be a helpful weight reduction from the old bike weight.

Example: This Planet X London Road only weighs 10 kg in the medium size. I assume that you would want small, saving a little bit more weight? How much are you wanting to spend? That is around £800.

Hi ya:welcome:
Unless I was heavily into off roading I don't think I'd carry the excess weight of any suspension. Personally I would go for a drop bar bike (like a dropped bar roadbike, a cyclocross or a gravel bike in rough order of weight/ comfort/robustness) but I know thats not everybodies cup of tea perhaps look at a flat bar road bike or just another hybrid but without suspension.

PS @Pat "5mph" another Glasgow lady maybe for your expanding Belles 👍

Greetings from the other side :welcome:
Do you know if you want straight bars or dropped ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
as said above either a hybrid flat bar or a cx style drop bar bike should fit the bill and i would not bother with suspension forks for cyclepaths / light gravel routes as they tend just to add weight .Is there anywhere downstairs you can keep the bike securely or is that not an option ?
What sort of budget are you looking a too and do you want a step through frame ? as we could suggest something that although great is above your price point

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

Hi all
Thanks for all the welcomes - much appreciated! I think I'm kindof zeroing in on the right sort of bike for me but am unsure... Basically, I'm going to cycle mostly off-road (road traffic scares me!) on cycle paths and trails including somewhat rough surfaces with some up and down bits. A hardtail hybrid fits the bill (my Cobalt 1 was actually ok) but I have to be able to carry it up and down two flights of stairs easily. So I really need something significantly lighter. Most hybrids with suspension seem to clock in at around the 12-13Kg mark but it looks like I could save weight by going for a hybrid without suspension e.g. something like the Liv Alight 3 DD disc or equivalent (that model seems not to be available anymore - tut!). I found the suspension on the Cobalt 1 gave a nice ride but it looks like I'd have to forgo it for the lighter weight. Does anyone think it would be a problem to ride on rough paths without the suspension? I'm looking at a small (Liv) frame as I'm about 167cm with 29-30" inside leg (for jeans :smile: ). I don't think I'd want to pay more than around £700 at most.

Thanks for any suggestions and advice

Louise

OP
OP
Loueese

Loueese

as said above either a hybrid flat bar or a cx style drop bar bike should fit the bill and i would not bother with suspension forks for cyclepaths / light gravel routes as they tend just to add weight .Is there anywhere downstairs you can keep the bike securely or is that not an option ?
What sort of budget are you looking a too and do you want a step through frame ? as we could suggest something that although great is above your price point
Unfortunately it has to be upstairs and outside my flat door. I had the Cobalt 1 chained to railings outside my flat door on the second floor and that's where it got stolen from - only had it a few months :sad: I posted again below. Yes, step through frame - preferably an actual ladies bike :smile: As mentioned in my other post less than £700 really.
Thanks
Louise

Top Bottom