Hi from Herts/Essex border

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BintanMan

Evening all,

I'm a 39 year old father of 3-year-old twins and severely out of shape. Until the boys were born I was fairly fit, but I've never been skinny since I was a teen. I've done some running and cycling in the past to keep fit (more running).

Today I picked up my bike from having a service. I bought the bike about 5 years ago after completing a charity ride to Paris (on a cheapo mountain bike) but hardly used it since. I bought it off a friend who is an enthusiast, who built it himself from various parts. I'm told it's a reasonable spec - way better than I deserve apparently!

Anyway chaps - my goal is to look for inspiration, lose weight and just enjoy riding now the decent weather has appeared.

Best,

Nick

seadragonpisces

Über Member
welcome nick. i am in herts and just got a bike too. going to start getting fit etc etc, thats the plan anyway, welcome :-)

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Welcome to CC Nick!

Happy cycling and don't be afraid to ask here as you'll get a wealth of information!

Soon enough the bug will bite!
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

Hi Seadragon,

iN I see you are in Knebworth - the other side of the county to me (I'm Sawbridgeworth) but I know the area well having lived in Welwyn and my in-laws live in Bendish (up t'hill from Whitwell).

Is there a lit of affiliated clubs on the site? I joined a clud when I started running 11 years ago and found it helps.

Nick

C

chillyuk

Hi Nick, from just down the road.

I don't go up your way very often, I don't like the main road 'cause I am a coward. I went up to near the airport yeterday through the Hallingburys, then home via Takeley. It was a 30 mile round trip.

There are groups in the area. Do a search for cycling clubs in Harlow. There is also a older group, 40 plus, but most seem to be over 60 who ride every week. I can't remember what they are called but they come up in a club search.

I don't know how fast your ride, I average about 12-13 mph over 20 to 30 miles, and if that is anywhere near you I'd be happy to join up for a ride. I might even risk the road to Sawbo!

Bill

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
welcome BintanMan :welcome: This a good place to ask silly questions and get good answers back,(no question is really too silly). Join in the various forums, especially the cafe for some virtual tea, cake and banter.

OP
OP
B

BintanMan

Hey Bill,

Good to know you are around. I need to get a few rides under my belt before I venture out with anyone. Additionally my cycle computer needs a new battery and calibrating. I asked the service guy to do it but it looks like he forgot! Do you use any local shops for equipment and expertise? I went to Abel Baker in Bishops Stortford.

Keep in touch,

Nick

C

chillyuk

Nick

I go the opposite way to you, south instead of north when I need a shop. I use Spokes in Epping, he is excellent. Most times though I use Ebay!

seadragonpisces

Über Member
Hi Nick

I am not sure about clubs on the site but I am sure others can advise. I know there is a CTC club in Stevenage. I have just joined up with the Veteran Cycle club and their North London group has rides in and around Hertford every couple of weeks or so and the occasional meeting for large groups too. I am not really into speeding around roads but more into casual rides and the social aspect of it all but I am sure you will find what you need.

Best of luck

Seton

Hi Seadragon,

iN I see you are in Knebworth - the other side of the county to me (I'm Sawbridgeworth) but I know the area well having lived in Welwyn and my in-laws live in Bendish (up t'hill from Whitwell).

Is there a lit of affiliated clubs on the site? I joined a clud when I started running 11 years ago and found it helps.

Nick

Top Bottom