Hi from just north of Oxford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike-L

Hi all,
Been on the forum for a few weeks but thought I'd say hello properly. Rode my Scorpio a lot as a teenager, then really nothing significant 'til the mid nineties, commuting 12 miles a day into Oxford.

In '96 I built up a bike from an Orbit 531 frame I got new but cheap plus various RSX and 105 components, specifically to get into Audax. However, 3 months later I got a job back in London... 13 years of Oxford Tube commuting (and child raising) later the bike was hardly ever used but something - possibly peer pressure at work! - got me going this year. I bought a turbo trainer in Jan and was given an old Brommie which I have modified - so I have crossed Central London on it most weekdays since May. I set myself a target - the Oxford Cambridge Bike Ride, which I trained up for and recently managed.

I nearly got a modern alu bike (Secteur) on the C2W scheme but spotted a 631 frame for £150 in Cavendish St Cycles (as was) - I'm 'lucky' to work near a very high concentration of bike shops! So I bought that instead and had all my bits transferred over. Trouble is once you start... I've ended up spending nearly £500 including the frame + bits and bobs, which isn't much less than the Secteur would have been on C2W! Oh well, the 'new' bike is light for steel, and very comfy over the hours.

So now its all about 'what next' and getting the motivation to improve (e.g. break the 17 mph barrier over 50 miles) and keep fitness cycling as it gets colder. Will probably do a 50 miler solo this weekend given the forecast. Goals: probably a 100 miler then a 200k Audax before Christmas. Not sure I like the 16mph average limit or seemingly fussy Audax rules, but over 200K I think a decent cake break half way would pull the overall time down enough.

Undecided about Sportives - they weren't around 12 years ago. Looks all about speed, whereas I like to take in the scenery - even slow down to take something in on a new route, while at the same time pushing my limits.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hellooooooo
From just south of Oxford (Abingdon).
reat that you're back on the bike after a break, that's true for many here!

Just back from Oxford having spent the evening with some of the CC and Yacf crew riding from Oxford to London. They were late getting-away due to train issues hence my late return. Certainly look-out for the next one early next year. The night ride to London is great and also it was packed with some seriously experienced Audax boys looking to share their expertise.
Audax is mynext Horizon, oh-well, next year :whistle:

Enjoy the forum and who knows, might see you around town sometime1
FF

Hi Mike and
wave.gif
-why not try a few short rides to get the speed up?

Top Bottom