Hi from Liverpool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alasdairgf

Heya - been riding for a couple of weeks now. Overweight, underfit, 39-yo, was given a bike by a friend over the winter, but only just got it out recently. The bike is a bit crap, one of those given out by the council in a free bikes scheme, but crap bike is better than no bike by a country mile! It's heavy, badly put together and bits of it already seem to be rusting, even though I keep it under a cover outside.

I'm now using the bike to commute to work most days, it's not far for me (2.5 miles) but quite hilly. Nearly died on the first few attempts, have let myself get WAY out of shape. Please tell me it'll get easier...!!!

Also getting out on the weekend, but don't have much time for it (wife & son, sure plenty of you know the drill...) - if I can spare 1.5 hours on one weekend day I'm doing well.

alasdairgf said:
Nearly died on the first few attempts, have let myself get WAY out of shape. Please tell me it'll get easier...!!!

No, sorry it doesn't.

:whistle:

Yeah it gets easier. At some point you'll find yourself looking back on your early rides and wondering what the fuss was. Give yourself a few months, do a few of those weekend rides or alternatively extend your commute and you'll soon see progress.

Good on you for doing it as well.

OP
OP
A

alasdairgf

I'm in Wavertree - it's about 3.5 miles from me to the nearest entry point on the Loop Line, mostly fairly quiet roads, so I think I'm pretty lucky there.

Want to work up to doing some longer rides later in the summer where in Lancs is good for some rural road routes?

The one of the ride I did do in Lancashire was Skelmersdale to Southport using both A roads and B roards. I got lazy I passed my driving test and you can guess the rest so didn't ride that much
I would love to cycle around the Lake District

OP
OP
A

alasdairgf

Thanks for the greets, all...

Top Bottom