Hi from Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthTrader

Hi Guys, I've been mooching around the site for a while and thought it time I stepped up and said how do :hello:

Been riding on and off for many years but can't seem to get any consistency going. Take commuting for instance, I'll do a few days, maybe a week or two, then perhaps I'll have to use the car one day for various reasons, then that could be it for a few weeks, bikes locked away and I'm back to getting (even) fatter! I've done a few 60-80 mile rides in the past, the last one was only at the beginning of October this year, so I know I can ride, but that seems to only make it harder as I know I can get on a bike and do that distance with virtually no training, yet I do appreciate how much easier and faster these rides would be if I wasn't dragging along the equivalent of a toddler in my belly!

So there it is, I'm currently overweight and this just frustrates me even further. I lost 3.5 stone back in 2006, (thanks WW), and I felt fantastic, but it's all crept back on and probably a bit more for good measure.

I'm planning a ride this Sunday with a buddy of mine which I suspect will be a gentle 20-30 mile loop, and I'm hoping that this comittment will ensure I actually manage to drag my butt of bed and do it. I find it too easy to wake up with good intentions, look outside, get back in bed, roll over and leave the bike in the shed! Even though I know I'll feel good once I'm out there turning the pedals.

Anyway, I'll continue to seek out others on a similar path, and assuming I manage to actually find some consistency this time I'll update my progress as I go. I don't want to publically shame myself by making my weight known just yet, but I may do one day.

Any help, encouragement, tips and advice greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

400bhp

Guru
JFDI mate-simple as.

Perhaps a bit blunt but that's the way it is.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Same here mate! Did the M/cr-Blackpool a few times over the years and the M/cr 100mile one year with no training and no problems so know that physically I can do it only really cycled as an alternative transport form for the last 18-24 months. Get yourself onto some of the forum informal rides, they crop up in our area often enough (one from Hebden Bridge on Sunday for instance, promises to be SLOW!)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Have you considered:

Mon - take bike to work in car; cycle home

Tues - cycle to work; car home

Wed - car to work; cycle home

Thurs - cycle to work; car home

Fri - car to work; bring bike back in car

Sat - arranged ride with others, so you have to go !

Obviously, this can fit around your 'need-car-at-work' schedule but bit of planning helps the discipline.
biggrin.gif

Have you got the right rain/cold weather clothing too ?

With the right clothing, there isn't the same excuse ....
blush.gif

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just stick at it. We all lose our mojos occasionally. There is some cracking riding in the Northwest so you can mix it up to keep things interesting. Oh and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
darthTrader

darthTrader

JFDI mate-simple as.

Perhaps a bit blunt but that's the way it is.
Yeah I know, easier said than done though at times isn't it? :whistle:

Get yourself onto some of the forum informal rides, they crop up in our area often enough (one from Hebden Bridge on Sunday for instance, promises to be SLOW!)

That's a good idea and something to consider for next year perhaps :thumbsup:

Hi. Well done just keep it up :smile: Lots of encouragement for ya here just keep coming back.

Cheers YM, CC certainly seems a decent place from what I've seen so far :biggrin:

Have you considered,

Obviously, this can fit around your 'need-car-at-work' schedule but bit of planning helps the discipline.
biggrin.gif

Have you got the right rain/cold weather clothing too ?

With the right clothing, there isn't the same excuse ....
blush.gif

Hi Scoosh, I have considered that and maybe I need to seriously give it a go, these things usually fail at the planning stage with me I'm afraid. I've got all the gear I could need so perhaps it's time to just knuckle down and get my head in gear me thinks :thumbsup:

Just stick at it. We all lose our mojos occasionally. There is some cracking riding in the Northwest so you can mix it up to keep things interesting. Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Buddy, isn't it a pain in the butt when you 'lose your mojo' though? You can be going great guns then miss a day or two and next thing you know your back to square one, grrrrr!

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've planned my Sunday ride with my mate so we'll get out do a few miles and go from there :thumbsup:

OP
OP
darthTrader

darthTrader

SLOW ... but surprisingly 'lumpy'! MUAHAHA! :whistle:

Slow is good, lumpy not so good tough :whistle:

Top Bottom