Hi from Rotherham

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladedave

just got back onto it after 10 years. rode to work and back on my old GT mtb, 12 miles each way. Waiting for my Giant defy 3 to arrive through the c2w, first ever road bike and looking forward to it. Just one thing will my backside stop hurting.

just jim

Welcome to CycleChat...and yes your backside will stop hurting. Head over to "know how" should you have any question about comfort in the saddle. Just down the hall, second door on the left!

OP
OP
B

bladedave

Cheers im just hoping that its not to much for a 42 year old who is carrying a couple of stones extra than he should

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hey another Roth member! HI ;) (I'm in exile if anyone's confused)

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight, I'm quite a few stone heavier than I should be and although you notice it on hills it's surprising how quickly your body starts getting used to the new exercise.

Oh and message to Andrew; the dee-dars are definitely from a large suburb of Rotherham!

OP
OP
B

bladedave

Another round trip done, backside still killing me. hope the saddle on my new defy 3 is going to be better than the one on my old mtb

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Give your butt a while to get used to the saddle, but if it get's no better then it's a matter of trial & error. Saddles are such a personal choice. Some swear by certain brands or models, but not one saddle suits everyone. If you are a little overweight a Brooks B17 might be worth trying, they seem to suit my rear end quite well :wacko:

Chrisc

Guru
Welcome and yep! I initially felt like I'd been kicked in the pants for a few hours by a racehorse but after 6 months, not a twinge!
Saddle position and height will help sort the pain. My road bike (from James in Rotherham) has a saddle that I almost gave up on after three rides but dropping it a little and getting the fore/aft position right has sorted it out perfectly.

Top Bottom