Hi from Scotland - and Italy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I'm Cath, new here and although not new to cycling, I haven't done any for upwards of 15 years, so I feel like a newbie all over again.

I live between a loch side on the west coast of Scotland - where I am at the moment - and the side of a valley in rural Italy, where I will be from mid April until after Christmas, with a couple of breaks back here for family visits.

Since my dad died five years ago, I've put on massive amounts of weight (comfort eating and no exercise) and recently realised to my great shame that I'm officially classified as obese. I've never been that big in my life - and I feel really, really unhealthy with it.

So, out came my old Raleigh bike, but then I realised it was just too rusty to be salvageable, and then my old Chas Roberts Roughstuff, but the drop bars are too uncomfortable for me now, so I used the excuse to buy a Specialized hybrid with a step through frame (the auld legs aren't that supple any more, either) which I'm picking up tomorrow.

I'm kind of nervous about getting on a bike again, but happy to be here for support and inspiration.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hello Cath, I expect you'll have some nice scenery to ride in both in Scotland and Italy. Will you be taking the bike to Italy with you or will you get another over there?

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm kind of nervous about getting on a bike again, but happy to be here for support and inspiration.
Take it easy at first, don't worry about speed or distance covered, and stop before anything hurts, a little often is better than trying for endurance right from the start.
I would suggest 15-20 minutes in the morning on the bike and the same in the afternoon would be a good starting point.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Hi Cath and welcome to the forum. I, like you, restarted cycling at 61 and glad I did. It is a great hobby but watch your bank balance because before long, you may be spending more than you intended. Enjoy and forget speed, mileage and strava. At our age, it doesn't matter, leave that to the youngsters.

Hyslop

Veteran
Hi all,

I'm Cath, new here and although not new to cycling, I haven't done any for upwards of 15 years, so I feel like a newbie all over again.

I live between a loch side on the west coast of Scotland - where I am at the moment - and the side of a valley in rural Italy, where I will be from mid April until after Christmas, with a couple of breaks back here for family visits.

Since my dad died five years ago, I've put on massive amounts of weight (comfort eating and no exercise) and recently realised to my great shame that I'm officially classified as obese. I've never been that big in my life - and I feel really, really unhealthy with it.

So, out came my old Raleigh bike, but then I realised it was just too rusty to be salvageable, and then my old Chas Roberts Roughstuff, but the drop bars are too uncomfortable for me now, so I used the excuse to buy a Specialized hybrid with a step through frame (the auld legs aren't that supple any more, either) which I'm picking up tomorrow.

Hello there,Cath:welcome:.Well done you!! Scotland to Italy by bike one day?Well,why not?:okay:

gavintc

Guru
Spotted your comment about amandola on another thread. We looked at buying a small place in the town abut 3-4 yrs ago. We have decided the delay the purchase for a few years, but loved the area.

On a cycling perspective - it is quite hilly, but lovely scenery. We have been to Le Marche a few times for short holidays. We used to live near Naples for a couple of years, but now back in uk.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi Cath and welcome!
Good on you for getting back on the bike, I didn't start till I was 48: wish now I had acquired the skills when I was younger.
Hope you got lots of low gears for our unavoidable hills! :hello:

Hello Cath, I expect you'll have some nice scenery to ride in both in Scotland and Italy. Will you be taking the bike to Italy with you or will you get another over there?
Hi Anne

Yes, I'm really lucky with the scenery in both places. I have bikes in Italy already but they're all drop bars, so I'm thinking of seeing how I go on with this one and maybe buying another like it, to take back with me.

Mind you, that's a bit like taking coals to Newcastle ...

Hi everyone

Sorry for the delay in replying to you all, but thank you so much for such a great welcome to the forums. I've been away due to a family bereavement, so not got any cycling in yet, unfortunately. :sad: But tomorrow is another day ...

It's good to see some older people here, too - in my head I'm still 18, but my body tells me otherwise ... Not to mention my memory!

Thanks again, everyone, and I look forward to seeing you all around. :smile:

Top Bottom