hi from south yorkshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul73

Hi everyone, new to the forum so thought id better introduce myself. Im 36, a bloke and keen to get back into cycling. Had alot of fun when i was younger on bikes bmx and racers. But due to family committments and work have not cycled regularly since my teens. Every year i watch the tour de france and plan to buy a bike and get out there. Then something crops up and i spend the cash on something more needed. But hey im 37 in a month, had responsibilities since i was 18( me and the wife were early starters) bout time i treated myself to a road bike. Ive been a window cleaner for the past 10 years and all the running up and down the ladders keeps me fit. I play sunday league football, i manage the team, me and my 18 year old son play which is cool but looking to take a back seat this season as picking up quite a few knocks that are starting to affect the day job.

The main purpose of the bike is to keep fit, i could see myself doing 50 - 80 miles a week to start off with. With my job being weather dependent i get a lot of days off so could see myself going out on the bike for a few hours 2 or 3 times a week. Plenty of coutry lanes where i live so i would be happy using a road bike, but with having a 10 year old daughter could do with having the option to go off road in the woods or park(is having 2 sets of wheels ie road and off road an option). Eventually i would like to go on cycling weekends or weeks, maybe into france. Would love to hear from you guys about what bikes you would reccomend, Im 6ft tall and currently weigh in at 14.5 stone. Been in halfords and decatholon lots of chioce, i would be happy to spend around £500 intially. Do you think this will get me a decent enough ride?

thanks paul

perplexed

Guru
Hi everyone, new to the forum so thought id better introduce myself. Im 36, a bloke and keen to get back into cycling. Had alot of fun when i was younger on bikes bmx and racers. But due to family committments and work have not cycled regularly since my teens. Every year i watch the tour de france and plan to buy a bike and get out there. Then something crops up and i spend the cash on something more needed. But hey im 37 in a month, had responsibilities since i was 18( me and the wife were early starters) bout time i treated myself to a road bike. Ive been a window cleaner for the past 10 years and all the running up and down the ladders keeps me fit. I play sunday league football, i manage the team, me and my 18 year old son play which is cool but looking to take a back seat this season as picking up quite a few knocks that are starting to affect the day job.

The main purpose of the bike is to keep fit, i could see myself doing 50 - 80 miles a week to start off with. With my job being weather dependent i get a lot of days off so could see myself going out on the bike for a few hours 2 or 3 times a week. Plenty of coutry lanes where i live so i would be happy using a road bike, but with having a 10 year old daughter could do with having the option to go off road in the woods or park(is having 2 sets of wheels ie road and off road an option). Eventually i would like to go on cycling weekends or weeks, maybe into france. Would love to hear from you guys about what bikes you would reccomend, Im 6ft tall and currently weigh in at 14.5 stone. Been in halfords and decatholon lots of chioce, i would be happy to spend around £500 intially. Do you think this will get me a decent enough ride?

thanks paul

Welcome to the forum! There are a few on here from South Yorkshire.

Sounds like you've got a plan of action for your cycling. I like the ideas of cycling in France, sounds good!

There are a few threads on various bikes that people have asked advice about, I'd have a search round for those...

Good luck and enjoy!

wave.gif

OP
OP
P

paul73

thanks guys, can you use both sets of tyres on hybrid bikes (on and off road) or are the road tyres pretty tough anyway?

Top Bottom