Hi from 'sunny' Cornwall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hi all and TIA for all the assistance and support I'm bound to request on here!

Been riding regularly for 6 months (3 months as a club member - doing a ride or two per week).

Cycle for general health and physical/mental well-being and in a fairly short space of time I've gone from 'bloody awful' to 'quite slow' - a big jump; largely due to shifting 2 stone!

I have a tight budget so can't be tempted, as much as I'd love to be, by all that is carbon and shiny, plus it suits my knowledge, skills and experience to be largely 'entry level'.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. Don’t worry it’ll only get better!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi all and TIA for all the assistance and support I'm bound to request on here!

Been riding regularly for 6 months (3 months as a club member - doing a ride or two per week).

Cycle for general health and physical/mental well-being and in a fairly short space of time I've gone from 'bloody awful' to 'quite slow' - a big jump; largely due to shifting 2 stone!

I have a tight budget so can't be tempted, as much as I'd love to be, by all that is carbon and shiny, plus it suits my knowledge, skills and experience to be largely 'entry level'.

Hi and welcome from the 'less than sunny in fact it's downright wet and gloomy' Lake District.

Don't worry about the tight budget, riding is what matters. Plenty of shiny new bikes end up hanging from the garage rafters forming the basic framework of an arachnid metropolis.

Enjoy the site. :smile:

13 rider

Guru
Hi hope you like hills spent two weeks biking around Newquay in the summer and did plenty of climbing to say the least.
Glad your enjoying it and this friendly forum will help with any silly questions you want to ask

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
Hello there .. :bicycle:
you live in a beautiful part of the country , imagine the rides there are very picturesque ..

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Thanks all - yes, climbing!!! It means I spend most of the time looking only at tarmac rather than gorgeous scenery!! I
live in a valley so have to climb any one of two 6% 1km+ hills within 200 yards of home (or end up in the sea!) and then plenty more ups and downs. Having been nearly 110kg 6 month ago, I have a love/hate relationship with hills but it's on those that have helped weight loss and an average speed increase, over the last 6 months, from 12mph over 60km with 1000 mtrs climbing to yesterday breaking 16mph for the same ride! Someone of my natural build is never going to be a climber but it doesn't mean I can't dance on the pedals and push as hard as I can rather than, as I used to, get straight into the granny ring and start crying the minute I see an incline.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hello there .. :bicycle:
you live in a beautiful part of the country , imagine the rides there are very picturesque ..
Yes Fonze, some beautiful routes though the negative sides include poor quality and often muddy roads and lots of single lane (2 direction) roads. Oh, and the fact you're only ever limping up or screaming down hills. I'd say the longest 'flat' stretch in Cornwall is about 7 miles!

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hi hope you like hills spent two weeks biking around Newquay in the summer and did plenty of climbing to say the least.
Glad your enjoying it and this friendly forum will help with any silly questions you want to ask
Indeed 13rider. It makes me feel a lot better when I've ridden a couple of times in much flatter areas of the UK (around the New Forest) and other novices see me as decent on the hills, rather than at home when everyone has to wait at the top for me!!

Fonze

Totally obsessive , cool by nature
We went to St Ives a few years back , walked as much of the coastline as we could ..
No hills of note where I live so I don't feel your pain I'm afraid .. ^_^

13 rider

Guru
Thanks all - yes, climbing!!! It means I spend most of the time looking only at tarmac rather than gorgeous scenery!! I
live in a valley so have to climb any one of two 6% 1km+ hills within 200 yards of home (or end up in the sea!) and then plenty more ups and downs. Having been nearly 110kg 6 month ago, I have a love/hate relationship with hills but it's on those that have helped weight loss and an average speed increase, over the last 6 months, from 12mph over 60km with 1000 mtrs climbing to yesterday breaking 16mph for the same ride! Someone of my natural build is never going to be a climber but it doesn't mean I can't dance on the pedals and push as hard as I can rather than, as I used to, get straight into the granny ring and start crying the minute I see an incline.
16mph in Cornwall is not bad going at all .I did find that for all the climbing you were never really rewarded properly on the descents due to the nature of the roads blind bend etc .

Top Bottom