Hi from SW London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ktp

Regular
Evening all
Another newbie to the forum and recent returner to cycling after a few years out. Thought I would brave my first post and say hi after a few days of lurking and reading your helpful bike reviews.
After getting back on my MTB a few months ago and doing some laps of Richmond Park and a couple of sportives, I've decided to buy my first road bike (bored of going up the hills slowly and everyone overtaking me).
Was thinking about getting the Specialized Dolce Sport, but just found an Elite for practically the Sport's, end of season, price. I'll post on the Bikes thread too, but just wondered about over-speccing myself on the bike front and having components that I'll need to take very good care of, given that most of my riding will be round Richmond park, the odd sportive and hopefully, in time, commuting to the city a few times a week...
Nice to virtually meet you all.
Kate

musa

Über Member
:welcome:

Just enjoy it
from a fellow souf landanner

PK99

Legendary Member
Evening all
Another newbie to the forum and recent returner to cycling after a few years out. Thought I would brave my first post and say hi after a few days of lurking and reading your helpful bike reviews.
After getting back on my MTB a few months ago and doing some laps of Richmond Park and a couple of sportives, I've decided to buy my first road bike (bored of going up the hills slowly and everyone overtaking me).
Was thinking about getting the Specialized Dolce Sport, but just found an Elite for practically the Sport's, end of season, price. I'll post on the Bikes thread too, but just wondered about over-speccing myself on the bike front and having components that I'll need to take very good care of, given that most of my riding will be round Richmond park, the odd sportive and hopefully, in time, commuting to the city a few times a week...
Nice to virtually meet you all.
Kate

If you have got the bug, esp the sportive bug, get the best you can afford - it will be cheaper in the long run! Another tip - join a club first, even if you never intend to ride with them. Mine gets 10% of at a LBS and costs £20 per year.

OP
OP
K

Ktp

Regular
Thanks for the welcomes and all the advice - what a friendly bunch :smile:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Welcome. Worth remembering that manufacturers can buy components far cheaper than you or I. Anything you get on the bike is probably about 60% of the cost of buying it separately, so it makes sense to get as good as you can. That said, there is a pricepoint beyond which diminishing returns kick in. Things get more fragile, more picky, less reliable. Where that lies for you is something only you will know, and half the fun is finding out. My rule of thumb is spending no less than £350 and no more than Princess Di's wedding.

Andy.

OP
OP
K

Ktp

Regular
Thanks Andy :-)
Have followed your rule of thumb and my gut feel and ordered the Dolce Elite. Now have to wait until the C2W scheme certificate turns up and I can actually get my hands on it!

Top Bottom