Hi from The Algarve

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hiya all,

I've recently returned to cycling after a long absence - some 15 years! :eek:

I am British but lived in South Africa for 24 years, grew up there, learn to cycle there and raced there. I moved to the UK in my early 30's and lived in the South East for 17 years. I emigrated once again but this time to Portugal and now, at 50, I am cycling again - taking advantage of the 300+ days of sunshine each year.

MTB'ing is new to me this year and I do enjoy it very much, where I live lends itself to riding off-road. I am still a road biker at heart though and so ride both.
I'm a member of a local Club and really love my cycling once again.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Welcome, I’m so envious of your 300+ days of sunshine.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Welcome, I’m so envious of your 300+ days of sunshine.
Norfolk has 300 days of sunshine. It's just that 106 of them are liquid. ;)

I've cycled in the Algarve (between Faro and Albufeira). The cycleways were very British-style - some great and some insane stuff (ending on a roundabout facing the wrong way) - but I understand they've been building more much quicker than the UK.

OP
OP
A
Norfolk has 300 days of sunshine. It's just that 106 of them are liquid. ;)

I've cycled in the Algarve (between Faro and Albufeira). The cycleways were very British-style - some great and some insane stuff (ending on a roundabout facing the wrong way) - but I understand they've been building more much quicker than the UK.

Yes, Algarve Tourism realises cycling is a big draw and so they are making the routes more accessible. It is a slow process due to budget restraints but they have the right idea. And true, some cycle paths are incredibly daft, there was one at Vilamoura recently that got heavily criticised.
I do most of my cycling off-road or on the road but inland away from the busier tourist areas.

OP
OP
A
:welcome:
Love the Algarve :becool:

Cheers and yes, the Algarve is a wonderful place. A bit tired in some places but there is a lot of improvements going on and the natural beauty of the region is amazing. A truly great place for cyclists.

MichaelO

Veteran
Didn't go this year, but we visit most years. I get out for a few days - lovely rides up to Monchique (although, had a couple that got overly hot, even up there!)
Welcome! :smile:

OP
OP
A
Didn't go this year, but we visit most years. I get out for a few days - lovely rides up to Monchique (although, had a couple that got overly hot, even up there!)
Welcome! :smile:

Cheers!
I like Monchique too, very different scenery to the coast and usually cooler. The local Club likes to go to Foia occasionally.

Top Bottom