Hi from Vintage fan, Roadking - Geoffrey Butler.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roadking

Hi everyone,

love the forum thought I'd introduce myself - not too boring I hope!

Been a cyclist all my life, more a tourist than a racer though...my main interests are classic bikes
- is that a category?

I've followed pro racing on the continent since the early 1980s and have been to France many times to watch the TdF. Had my first proper racing bike in the 1970s, parents bought for my bithday a Holdsworth Pro, which I still have but it needs some light restoration. It lay unused for years - motorbikes, university, replaced with another new bike; a Lightweight Unit (SBDU) Raleigh bought new in 1984 (a pressie from myself for passing uni exams).

I then bought another SBDU Raleigh in 1987.

I am a south London boy living now in the Lincolnshire Wolds. Whilst the Holdsworth awaits a resto I'm restoring a 70s Geoffrey Butler bought new by a friend of my Dad's in the day - the friend was going to throw it in a skip!

Its 531, and for the anoraks amongst you it has Nervex Pro lugs, shot in stays and the wheel clearance is 27", it has only one braze on for the rear mech. It would have been quite expensive due to the use of the Nervex lugs.

I've been led to believe it may have been built by Cliff Shrub as Butler's did not build, they subbed out - good frmes though.

Be interested anyone out there can help with a date for the GB.

Just dreaming about next summer now!

Free, fixed or gears...may your wheels run true. Cheers Roadking.

Shaun

Founder
You'll be in good company - we've got our fair share of Classics on here ... :thumbsup:

Oh, and welcome BTW:

:welcome:

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Roadking :hello: You may well get more information about your Geoffrey Butler in the knowhow section once you find your way around the forum.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Welcome Roadking :welcome: . Hope someone has the info you're after.
Have you tried Velobase? That was a link to the site. I'm sure Jon would also welcome any photo's you can put on. From my link if you click on Next it will take you to more Nervex lugs. You may be able to date your frame from the date of the lugs.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Whilst I don't know anything about vintage bikes I like looking at them ... post up a couple of photos to show them off :smile: and welcome.

Top Bottom