hi guys, internet probs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

my computer often displays this message when i try to access web pages

This web page is not available.

The web page at http://www.google.co.uk/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
More information on this error

But strangely it appears that messenger and skype still work. The only way i have found to resolve it is to turn off my router for 20 seconds then once the computer picks it up again ut seem to be fine.

Any ideas how to resolve it?

(my au pair also has her computer on the same wi fi network. She seems to have the same problem)

classic33

Leg End Member
You may not be connected to the internet
Is one option that you don't give.

Given that two on the same network have the same problem lends weight to this one. Open internet explorer, before you connect & see if you get the same message

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
What form of network encryption are you using? We have a similar issue since adopting WPA2/PSK. No solution yet and its a pita but better than keeping finding strangers sharing my connection.

It sounds like your router is mishandling DHCP requests, either that or your ISP's DNS server is misbehaving. It is handling other protocols correctly, but not http over IP.

You could try;
1. Setting each machine on your network with a static IP address.
2. Setting your router to use OpenDNS instead of your ISP's.

OR,

Get used to turning your router off on as you leave enter the house.

rh100

Internet connection in itself must be ok as you can access other services,
I would suspect DNS issues,
from the command prompt - try typing ipconfig /flushdns

also run ipconfig /all to determine your IP address and the address of the router (the gateway) and an address for the dns server (often the same as the router/gateway)

then try pinging the gateway address, eg ping 192.168.1.1 see if you get a reply and try pinging the DNS server address if different.

it could even be a malware problem, download and run Malwarebytes to check

rh100

Bromptonaut said:
What form of network encryption are you using? We have a similar issue since adopting WPA2/PSK. No solution yet and its a pita but better than keeping finding strangers sharing my connection.

Yes, if on wifi it could be anything! Plug a network cable between the router and laptop then wait for a new ip address or reboot, then see if it works - rules out any problems with the internet connection.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
rh100 said:
Yes, if on wifi it could be anything! Plug a network cable between the router and laptop then wait for a new ip address or reboot, then see if it works - rules out any problems with the internet connection.

My laptop sits by the router and default connection is cable. I only have problems when I go onto wireless. Wife's laptop and netbook also perform perfectly on a cable so definitely a wi/fi issue. Reboot of PC or router usually sorts it. Not all machines in house support WPA2 so I'm opertting in mixed mode - hope it will improve later in year when kids get new PCs.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

its a netgear supplied by sky.

The problem is intermittent, fine for a couple of days then the problem appears.

Unfortunately Sky have used several Netgear routers over the years, but there are a number of threads elsewhere regarding their reliability in general. A particularly nice one being that Sky changed the firmware from Netgear's tried and tested system, to their own.

Biggest google hit is overheating being an issue. Put the thing on its side or prop it up so there is air flowing underneath it. It allegedly helps...hopefully it may help you, even if it is not a permanent solution, if it improves things then we know where to concentrate our deductive powers, Watson. <Sry, just seen the latest Sherlock Holmes>

rh100

Interesting, I have the Sky Netgear router, with Sky firmware, and about once a month or so I lose access until rebooting the router.

Top Bottom