Hi guys - Novice seeking advice!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Christkd

Hi Guys and Girls,

I'm Chris and I'm 37 from Southampton. I've only been cycling since September 2010 and along with 5 others are doing LEJOG during the Easter holidays this year!
I did my first long ride (70 miles) just before new year and did ok but suffered from cramp in my hamstrings after around 45 miles! I've been practicing Taekwon Do for 18 years so have kept a reasonable level of fitness but never any endurance type fitness hence the cramps!
Has anybody got any advice to stop the cramps? Has anybody suffered the same way and what did you do to combat it?

Any advice greatly appreciated and I'll look forward to chatting with you all soon!

Chris

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Bloody he'll Chris that's quite an undertaking! Good luck and enjoy it! The cramps may well be down to several factors, one important thing is to make sure you have enough fluids and enough salt replaced from what you've lost. Make sure you eat a healthy diet with a good mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats. You don't have very long to train so try not to overdo it with the training. Welcome to the forum! There's a subsection for touring and LEJOG questions appear there all the time.

Norm

Indeed.

I use tablets because it's easy to drop in one every time I fill the bottle. They cost about 20p-30p each, which isn't the cheapest way of doing it (I think powders are cheaper) but they are incredibly convenient to take with you on a ride, and they are way less than the price of Lucozade Sport or whatever.

GM

Legendary Member
:welcome: Chris. I'm also going to try LeJog later on this year, but as for cramps I don't think you can beat a couple of bananas and a bottle of tonic water. Good luck!

OP
OP
C

Christkd

Thanks alot guys, it is a bit of an undertaking I know but I'm pretty determined!

I have bought some anti cramp tabs to drop in my bottle so just need to do another big ride to test them out!

I've just spoken to a PT who works with the British Triathlon team, he's gonna work with me over the next few weeks to get me ready for the BIG one!!!!!

Really appreciate your help

Chris

ZIZAG

Veteran
Hi Chris . I am looking at it from a different angle .:rolleyes:
To the other guys . As regards to the cramps .
You might want to try Radian B Muscle lotion . It drys up quickly and Is not sticky . Like other creams /lotion's .
You can use It as much as you like .
It will prepare the muscles for the endurance by heating up and relaxing them .
Also try massage before and after with lots of stretching . :blush:
As the hamstrings obviously tighting up . As we all lose elasticity and flexibility . ;)

OP
OP
C

Christkd

I'll be sure to keep you informed of my progress!!

ZigZag, thanks for that I'll certainly try some Radian B, I'll try anything if it works!!

Thanks again

Chris

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
hmmm, be careful with just putting some lotion on the legs, stretching is helpful - I assume you're not cycling at pro level where you'd be doing lots of pushing your legs to the max - if you're masking a issue, it may mean that you numb the pain and then end up doing damage to your legs that you cannot fix..imho do not numb the cramps - take your time with increasing the cycling load, eat well, drink well and rest well too- if you're really concerned or there are no improvements then see your GP.

Top Bottom