hi guys, what road bike would you recomend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sisilisko

Regular
hi, im just getting back into proper cycling after a few years, and so much has changed, with road bikes, carbon bikes being a realistic price now, cyclecross bikes! im looking for a road bike thats under £800, best spec i can get for the cash? I will want to put a rack on it for light touring, nothing too special, but will be doing road trips around yorkshire and lincs area throwning it on a train with a sleeping back, bivi and the normal basics
Thanks for the help,
james

Joffey

Big Dosser
B'Twin Alur 700

Shimano 105, direct mounted brakes, aero frame, ok wheels, internal cable routing, under 9kg - £599.

I have had mine 3 weeks and can say it's a brilliant bike!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I haven't used them but I think you can get frame clamps that can be tightened round road bike frames to take a rack if the bike doesn't have integral mounting lugs.

vickster

Legendary Member
Define 'best' spec? Bike with best frame may not have best groupset, seemingly best value bike may not fit you etc

You mention carbon, for £800 you could look at Planet X, decent components for the money but a fairly generic frame. But you'll struggle with a rack and more so decent mudguards

Dolan prefissio another option which might do for you, alu/carbon, can spec the components. For £800, you can get the excellent (IMO) SRAM Rival 22 speed

Best bet however, go to a few local shops, sit on a few, test ride a few and take it from there (however, you will pay more probably for a comparable spec versus mail order, but you're more likely to get the right bike in the right size :smile: )

Halfords have 15% off Boardman today (plus another 10% with British Cycling membership), £800 won't be far off their Ltd edition carbon if that's the material. Otherwise the lovely CX team

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?catalogId=10151&action=listrefine&tabNo=1&categoryId=165555&langId=-1&storeId=10001&qcon=fh_location=//catalog_10151/en_GB/categories<{catalog_10151_c165684}/categories<{catalog_10151_c165684_c165555}/attr_383d4483>{av_37b876e2}/700<attr_dc04e884<1001/!attr_bdf5060d=1/categories<{catalog_10151_c165684_c165555_c165710}&fh_refpath=facet_3&fh_refview=lister&fh_reffacet=categories&channel=desktop&initMin=275&initMax=1800

I'd say however, a steel or alu roadbike or CX would be better for your needs than a cheaper carbon bike

Spa cycles have a lovely range of bikes suited to touring or distances

Personally I'd go for something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-E...694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2ee1342586 :whistle:

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Planet X - London Road, IMO the finest all-rounder available for the money at the moment.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-road-bike

There's also a cheaper version with Apex.

andyfraser

Über Member
My local Halfords is pretty big but the bike section is quite small. They also manage to have a good number and variety of bikes. They never seem to have any single speed or fixie bikes though.

outlash

also available in orange
Planet X - London Road, IMO the finest all-rounder available for the money at the moment.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNRIV/planet-x-london-road-sram-rival-22-road-bike

There's also a cheaper version with Apex.

That looks very nice for the money, although I'd want to see/sit on one in the flesh. The great thing about this and 'cross/adventure bikes is that you could take it down bridleways and the like without worrying if it'll take it. Genesis Croix de Fer or a Cannondale CAADX would be on my hit list too.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Me too - I'd be down to planet x like a shot if I was in the market for n + 1.
Trouble is Mrs kes has made it perfectly clear that it's her turn next.

Top Bottom