Hi! Looking for some information about a bicycle I've recently bought.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JayD

Looking for some information about a bicycle I bought recently. Its not in the best condition. Ive been looking online recently and I've found similar ones but not exactly the same as my bicycle. None has the same colouring. Think its from the early to mid 80's but that's all I know.

Help!

Chris S

Legendary Member
:welcome:
It's probably best to post this in the vintage & classic bikes section.

OP
OP
J

JayD

Model Ventoux
Code PH501
Mid 1989s sports bike.
What kind of bottom bracket threading? Funny French or proper English style threads?
Hi MichaelW2! Thank you so much for replying. I honestly don't know. How can I tell which it would be? Or shall I take a load of photos?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
One of the later Peugeot sports bikes when they gave in to pressure and started using English Reynolds tubing instead of finest conduits de gaz, sacre blue!
Should make a nice bike when sorted. Be careful of threading as above.
Looks all original apart from the pedals.

:welcome: To the forum.

OP
OP
J

JayD

One of the later Peugeot sports bikes when they gave in to pressure and started using English Reynolds tubing instead of finest conduits de gaz, sacre blue!
Should make a nice bike when sorted. Be careful of threading as above.
Looks all original apart from the pedals.

:welcome: To the forum.
Hi Cycleops! Thank you for the reply. Made me laugh 😂 It's a project bike for me. First off needs a good clean and a grease. So il need to find replacement pedals? Thank you for that information. Need a saddle too as its got slits in the back. Are you able to guess what it's worth now and what it'll be worth when it's been restored by any chance? Also, why is it that I can't find the same style blue white colouring? Seen many similar but not this? Thank you very much.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi Jay. Bit difficult to guess vales right now as these are crazy times,, shops don't have new ones and second hand ones are fetching a premium if in good order and ready to go.
You also need to check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and pushing to a fro, any more than a little play could mean new bearings. Similarly with the BB wiggle the cranks to feel for wear. I'd change out all the cables, inner and outer and check the blocks. Do the wheels run true, any loose spokes? Any noise or wobble in the hubs?
Can't see the pedals properly. Could you post a better pic of them? They look like they could be Shimano which should have toe clips attached like this or are they clip in type? In fact scrub that as I think they are Look clip ins, so need to be changed.

Can't help you on the model I'm afraid. Try checking the online Peugeot catalogues for that era.
Good luck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anything you think about 'binning' don't on that age bike. Even though it's not a pro level bike, parts are fetching some money, so pedals, if not for you, someone on ebay will snap them up.

Eg, the Saddle - that may sell for more than you can buy a new one.

I've just refurbished one of my old bikes, and I never really liked the saddle, but stuck with it. It's in good condition, but as I now ride more modern saddles on other bikes, I bought a saddle that's similar to them (but still retro looking). I'll probably get more for the old saddle than I just paid for the new one. Just doesn't suit my bum any more.

OP
OP
J

JayD

Hi Jay. Bit difficult to guess vales right now as these are crazy times,, shops don't have new ones and second hand ones are fetching a premium if in good order and ready to go.
You also need to check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and pushing to a fro, any more than a little play could mean new bearings. Similarly with the BB wiggle the cranks to feel for wear. I'd change out all the cables, inner and outer and check the blocks. Do the wheels run true, any loose spokes? Any noise or wobble in the hubs?
Can't see the pedals properly. Could you post a better pic of them? They look like they could be Shimano which should have toe clips attached like this or are they clip in type? In fact scrub that as I think they are Look clip ins, so need to be changed.
View attachment 570029

Can't help you on the model I'm afraid. Try checking the online Peugeot catalogues for that era.
Good luck.
Thanks ever so much!

OP
OP
J

JayD

Anything you think about 'binning' don't on that age bike. Even though it's not a pro level bike, parts are fetching some money, so pedals, if not for you, someone on ebay will snap them up.

Eg, the Saddle - that may sell for more than you can buy a new one.

I've just refurbished one of my old bikes, and I never really liked the saddle, but stuck with it. It's in good condition, but as I now ride more modern saddles on other bikes, I bought a saddle that's similar to them (but still retro looking). I'll probably get more for the old saddle than I just paid for the new one. Just doesn't suit my bum any more.
Good shout! Il sell anything I don't want. Thanks!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
501 was a very decent tubeset, but somewhat underrated and overshadowed by it's more famous and pricey stablemate 531. Aside from a very small weight difference, maybe half a pound, most riders would struggle to tell the difference if the geometries were identical.
as to value, it's probably fair to say there is very little, if any real profit in doing such bikes up to resell. You could spend £50 and several hours of your time, and end up with £25 in your hand. Do it if you like tinkering with bikes, don't think it's an easy money-making scheme because it generally won't be. There's a handful of fixer-uppers and horse traders on this forum, but I expect all will admit at best it's a small scale beer money game where they get to experience a good few different bikes and maybe keep the ones they like best whilst moving on the so-so ones that didn't float their boat that much.

Top Bottom