Hi Newbie from Wilts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SKoob

Hi all,

Been getting into cycling for the last year or so after my car broke and needed a way of getting to work 10 miles away. I've been going to the gym for the last 5 years but mainly shifting weights and needed a form of CV that i'd enjoy too. Started off using my sisters old Giant MTB and when she wanted it back I ended up getting a hybrid. Opted for a GT Transeo 3.0 and have slowly been adding useful commuting items such as mudguards, panier rack, saddle bag, pump and lights. Been lurking and reading up on what items to buy on here, seems to becoming an expensive hobby.

Here she is

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lukesdad

Hey up Skoob. Lovely part of the country you live in there.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Welcome Skoob, :hello: You are correct when you say that this can be an expensive hobby. Never go to the bike shop for just a look with your credit/debit card.;)

Jimmy Doug

If you know what's good for you ...
Hi Skoob

What part of Wilts are you from? I'm originally from there. Went to School in Westbury - then moved to Melksham. 13 years later, still dream every Frdiay night of a pint of 6X in the Barge Inn. Expensive? cycling? Nahh....you should try sailing!!

OP
OP
SKoob

SKoob

I'm from the sham. Went to the barge for a pint of 6X tonight in fact lol. Prefer Bath Ales Gem as its even nicer

Jimmy Doug

You're from Melksham! Oh my God! I've never met anyone from Melksham before! Jeez! Small world!
I don't know the pub you mention. I used to go to the King's more often than the Barge, as it was closer. It was OK in those days - had a cosy feel about it. Went there at Easter for the first time in 13 years - it's so changed. If feels more like a wine bar now. No character any more. I was also shocked to see that the Bear had gone - although I never went there because it had a bad reputation.

OP
OP
SKoob

SKoob

It is, I was on about a beer not a pub so that's why ya not heard of it lol. The Kings Arms is probably the only nice pub left in Melksham.

Jimmy Doug

Yeah, I reckon. The Parson's Nose used to be OKish, but it was a bit grubby, the Harrior as it was once called and is now something else, up on Bowerhill, used to feel like someone's new detached house, no character, and there was that strange place next to the Bear that I went to once - quiet but odd. I don't know where my brother goes now - he still lives in Melksham. He used to hang out at the bear - no where left in Melksham now. Acutally, the whole town seems to be going downhill. Terrible shame. I have some wonderful memories of the town, but maybe that's just nostalgia. What happened to the library? Is it still there? I heard they were going to move it to that campus thing they're building.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My Mum's side of the family are from Salisbury; they were publicans and farmers and my grandparents were wholesale tobacconists with a warehouse in Castle Street. One great grandfather drowned in the river Avon after a particularly heavy night!

Jimmy Doug

I don't know Salisbury very well - only been there a couple of times. When we used to need to go shopping, Bath was closer and the centre far better. That's one town that hasn't changed too much - apart from the new shopping centre near the station. I used to know I guy there who decorated the outside of his basement flat with all sorts of toys - hundreds of them. His name was Mad Ely, I think, and he had somehow managed to start a tradition of people chucking money into his basement for charity. I don't think it's there any more. Don't know why I'm saying alll this - stream of consciousness perhaps? Remembering the good ol' days.

OP
OP
SKoob

SKoob

Sounds like the grapes the quiet but odd pub. You can smell the toilets as you walk past it. I used to frequent the Parsons and found it ok but a bit grubby like you say. Yeah I'd agree melksham is going down hill fast. Not alot to do unless you want to get drunk, get a takeway or get a haircut lol. Library is still there. Not been in that for about 15 years now though.

Jimmy Doug

Yeah, it's the Grapes. Went there once - walked straight back out!
What cycling routes do you do? I have a couple or routes I used to do, but when I lived in Melksham I used to just mostly take my bike and ride around aimlessly. Sometimes I'd be out all day - just cycling from one place to another. I did my first 100 miles like that. Cycled to Trowbiride, then to Westbury, back up to Devizes....Before I knew it, I'd recorded over a hundred miles. As you said, not much else to do in Melksham. Perhaps that's how I first got into cycling. Had the town more things to do for a teenager, I guess I might not have ever discovered my bike!

OP
OP
SKoob

SKoob

I either cycle to Chippenham and back for work, some time Devizes along the Kennet and Avon, and if I'm feeling really energetic I'll go along the Kennet and Avon to Bath then on to Bristol on the cycle path and back. Works out about 60 miles. Keep meaning to go for the big 100 one day

Top Bottom