Hi-ten

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Yes I'd seen that list before but not looked at it at the time since I wasn't in the fixie market.
Like the look of the Schwinn Cutter, but it's hi-ten :biggrin: (but if it's on the list...:huh:)

Yes I know about going secondhand, there are always good deals around, that's a great price for the Flyer, it was another one I was considering but it's too expensive new...

MajorMantra

Radius said:
Yes I'd seen that list before but not looked at it at the time since I wasn't in the fixie market.
Like the look of the Schwinn Cutter, but it's hi-ten :biggrin: (but if it's on the list...:huh:)

Yes I know about going secondhand, there are always good deals around, that's a great price for the Flyer, it was another one I was considering but it's too expensive new...

I don't think there's any approval implicit in the list, it's just a collection of info for people sizing up their options. IMO the Schwinn looks a bit crappy, and it'll be heavy.

My Flyer's a 2007 model, hence the lower price. When I was negotiating to buy it (at the end of last year) I hesitated, but I am so glad I got it as it has since become my favourite bike. It's light and quick and quite smooth with its 520 frame and carbon forks. If you can find one for a sensible price (the 2009 prices do seem bonkers) I can highly recommend it.

Matthew

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
My good friend Radius:thumbsup:;)
Heres my advice for you.
You can build up a fixed with a nice lighter steel frame much cheaper then that peice of crap you have been looking at.
I built a 531 framed fixed up(and had the frame spreyed) for under £150. I did get the frame free, and a front wheel free, but the spreying of the frame would cover the cost of you getting a frame. I had a back wheel built though.
Your in London arent you? Theres enough fixed gear stuff down there that you can get cheapish second hand to build your own one up. It will have more of a personality aswell(fixed gear saddo me)
Dont go out and spend that much of a crappy off the peg fixed, which has crappy components, is heavy and looks shite, has no personality when really you can have more fun building one up then buying one.
Then, when you get hooked on fixed, you go out and spend more on a nice frame and components and build that up, and have a fixed worth more then your geared 'best' bike:wacko:
Oh, and when you build your own one up like i did, you can honestly say that there is no other fixed out there that is the same as yours. My old fixed was sort of one of a kind, my new fixed is one of a kind. Now how good does that sound to just going out and buying one?
Building isnt hard, and theres no adjusting(except to getting the length of the chain right) and if you know what your doing, you can build one up pretty fast and have some fun.
I doubt i will ever buy a off the peg fixed bike.
Oh........

FACT;)
Ive been wanting to tell you this for a while, but i was banned so i couldnt.
Why did you spend so much on a geared bike, but when it comes to fixed your wanting to spend as little as you can? At least spend abit, not just as little as you can on a crappy off the peg:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
See what you're saying Joe RE second hand, probably will end up going that route anyway. As for spending on geared vs. fixed: because it's not christmas and I don't have the money to spend a lot on a fixed right now, and I don't think I'd use it as much (although I know you say the opposite since you got yours)

Joe24

Radius said:
See what you're saying Joe RE second hand, probably will end up going that route anyway. As for spending on geared vs. fixed: because it's not christmas and I don't have the money to spend a lot on a fixed right now, and I don't think I'd use it as much (although I know you say the opposite since you got yours)

Well, to be honest, you might not. If you dont get on with it, i know that YU doesnt get on with his( well i dont think he rides it on the road) so it would be a waste to spend to much on one to not use it.
But on the other hand, if i was just going to have one bike i would have my fixed. I really dont get that much enjoyment from riding my geared bike, and when i do, it never feels right.
My fixed can do pretty much most things.
So spending abit on a fixed is a good idea. I would go second hand though, you will learn alot more about building one and doing the little bit of maintenence on them. And, you should be able to find parts easier. Infact, go onto LFGSS, they used to have days when you could go to a workshop and be shown how to build wheels and do other maintence. You could get a bike built in a sunday, or a few sundays. Not sure if these are still going, they were when i looked on there.
My fixed is amazing, its how it feels to ride that gets me every time. Other people might not find this though.
Infact, look of LFGSS(i have got it right your in London?) and you will probably find all if not most of the parts you need, and probably a cheap frame on there aswell.

OP
OP
Radius

Radius

SHREDDER
Yup I'm in London and already on LFGSS, have been eyeing things up for a while. We'll see. I'm sure I can find something decent for a reasonable price around. Cheers.

Joe24

Radius said:
Yup I'm in London and already on LFGSS, have been eyeing things up for a while. We'll see. I'm sure I can find something decent for a reasonable price around. Cheers.

You just need to start kissing peopes asses on there then, giving them rep, laughing when something is funny and doing stuff not funny stuff yourself and you will get some good stuff and join their little group thing.

Apologies if I'm pointing out already known stuff here - Hi Ten is short for High Tensile steel. I think, broadly speaking, different grades of steel are rated (amongst other characteristics) by their varying tensile strength.
And, as I understand it, when you have a light steel frame it's because the gauge or thickness of the walls is thinner - thinner walls can be permitted if the steel is strong, or has high tensile strength.
So if a frame is heavy - made of thicker gauge steel - consequently it feels 'dead' and cumbersome. With stronger steel, the walls can be thinner so you can have a lighter, springier and more lively feel. If cheap steel was made into tubes with thinner walls, there's a chance they could fail due to low fatigue resistance and strength.
As you progress up from HiTen, you have CroMo (pretty good stuff really), 531/631, 653, 753, 853 (and others of course) in the Reynolds range. And they all have slightly thinner thicknesses the higher you go, pretty much.
Hope I'm correct here. Does anyone want to add more? Cheers.

Top Bottom