Hi There - It's nice to be back in the saddle !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Hi there --- It's nice to be back in the saddle after about 40 years away.
In the 1960s, (my teen years) I cycled everywhere.
I bought an old Carlton from a school-mate for £5.
A Carlton - I thought - Never heard of it.
I'd had a Raleigh ... my first bike when I was young.
The Carlton was cheap, although a bit scruffy.
I didn't realise it when I bought it - But - I soon found out that I had bought a diamond.
Y4423 is the frame number - Stamped on the rear left-hand drop-out.
Maybe, someone can tell me what model it was originally.

From the 1970s, I got into motor bikes and then cars.
The old Carlton got neglected while I indulged myself in some great cars (But that's for another Forum !).
My mate borrowed the bike ... A bad mistake.
He was an utter hooligan and trashed it.
It wasn't even ridable !
It sat in the garage for nearly 30 years - unloved and unridden.
It was caked in muck and needed a lot of work to get it going.
I gave it away to the guy next door, who fancied his chances at fettling it up.
Needless to say - He had other projects, and never did it.

About two years ago, my new partner, herself a cyclist with a very-neat Raleigh Pioneer Classic 10 sis, said:
"Why don't you get your old bike going ?"
So - I asked the neighbour for it back.
He must have realised how bad it was, and willingly agreed.

After a lot of work (and some head-scratching), it's now back on the road ...... and I'm loving it.
The things I have done are the stuff for other posts.
The things I have yet to do and the things I am finding out ... Again - There will be other posts.

I'm a reasonably competent engineer.
I've refitted every car job imaginable - From changing my oil to refitting Chevrolet V8 engines.

Vintage bicycle engineering is a bit different .... But ..... It's still not rocket science.
So - Onwards and upwards.
Hope to meet some more of you soon.

Shaun - Thanks for the welcome.
Have a good day.
Johnsco

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome:

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
I promised some pics - There are a few here and in a couple more posts.
In this post are 4 pics of the Carlton - before restoration - After 30 years neglect.
I needed to do quite a few jobs and the work proceeded in stages [and is still proceeding].
The job that really made me scratch my head was the slackness of the chain.
It wasn't slack when my mate borrowed the bike.
He has long left the scene - Gone abroad - Just as well, or I would wring his neck !!
I thought, at first, that he had managed to wreck the rear derailleur mechanism.
I got it up on the bench, cleaned, lubed and adjusted the the mechanism, but the chain was still slack.
I did everything I could think of. The chain was still slack and kept jumping off.
Was the chain too long ? How could it be ? It wasn't slack when he borrowed the bike, but it was unridable when he brought it back.
Should I remove a double link ?
Eventually, I measured the chain around the largest chain-wheel and the largest sprocket.
Sure enough - It was too long.
I can only assume that my mate had fitted a new derailleur chain (Heaven knows why) and didn't realise that they are supplied over-length.
I removed a double-link .... Bingo - That cured the problem.
Most of the other jobs were pretty-straight-forward.

BEFORE RESTORATION .... A SAD PICTURE

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
So - I got it running.
Once I was sure that I was not wasting my time and that the project would be a success (No twisted or cracked frames or other disasters), I got to work stripping off all the bits and pieces in order to paint the frame, replace all the brake and control cables, re-wrap the handle-bars, get everything working correctly ....
And so - Here are four pics of the repainting process.
I rubbed down the frame. The chrome-plating on the front forks and the lugs was completely shot.
I gave it an all-over coat of rust-suppressing primer, then a couple of coats of blue hammerite smooth and silver hammerite smooth to the front forks and lugs.
Then a little bit of detailing to finish.

Last edited:
So - I got it running.
Once I was sure that I was not wasting my time and that the project would be a success (No twisted or cracked frames or other disasters), I got to work stripping off all the bits and pieces in order to paint the frame, replace all the brake and control cables, re-wrap the handle-bars, get everything working correctly ....
And so - Here are four pics of the repainting process.
I rubbed down the frame. The chrome-plating on the front forks and the lugs was completely shot.
I gave it an all-over coat of rust-suppressing primer, then a couple of coats of blue hammerite smooth and silver hammerite smooth to the front forks and lugs.
Then a little bit of detailing to finish.
Can you upload, can't open link?

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
AFTER RE-FITTING AND RE-PAINTING.
Here are three pics of the repainted bike.
I've christened it "Lazarus"
I treated myself to a new pair of SKS mudguards - Pretty good product - You get what you pay for - A bit like a Chinese puzzle to fit - But you get there eventually.
I've still a few jobs to do.
The head bearings are rough.
The pedal bearings are worse.
Attention is needed urgently in both areas.
I'm prepared for the worst, as I fear that the hand of my destructive mate has been in both these areas.
I'm looking for a suitable pair of alloy wheels .... 27" x 1.1/4".
I've looked at a well-priced pair on Bankruptbikeparts ... A good price -----BUT ----- The distance between locknuts on the rear wheel may be a
No-No.
Advice welcomed here !!

postman

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nice paint job there. Reminds me if my first 24” wheeled frame my dad got from a dump when I was a kid. I repainted the frame British racing green at first then gold a few years latter when I converted it to a tracker bike.

OP
OP
Johnsco

Johnsco

Old Fettler
Thanks guys.
I'm pleased with the paint job.
The bike is a work in progress.
This weekend, I've refitted the bearings in the rat-trap pedals and refitted the top set of head bearings.
Took it for a run today - Wow - What an improvement.
See notes in another post in:
"BICYCLE MECHANICS AND REPAIRS"
Next job is to sort out some decent alloy wheels.
The steelies that are fitted are not as good as they look.
The rims where the brake blocks rub are seriously pitted and braking is a rumbly experience - Front and back.
I could use some weight reduction.

Top Bottom