Hi there. Quick coupla questions...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EllasFella

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but hope to enjoy myself round these parts. Firstly, I have a question or two. The wife and I have decided to regain some fitness together, and thought that cycling would be our best bet to enjoy our time, as whilst I'm unfit, I used to love cycling. Bought a couple of MTB's about 5 years ago, but even though they are reasonably light, I'm a fat duffer and found hauling my aged carcass around for any length of time more than a chore, so was wondering what your thoughts are. Modern road bikes are v. light, aren't they? I've considered getting a single speed to limit the amount of technical problems I might encounter (Last time I had a road bike, if something went wrong, you attached leeches...). Many thanks, in anticipation.

Single speeds bikes are great if you are fit!!! Otherwise you are always in the wrong gear. If you are that unfit, you won't like the single speed.

Modern bikes are now pretty reliable, whether road or MTB.

Hauling your aged unfit carcass will be just as bad on a road bike as on an MTB after the initial rush of being on a lighter bike with the added advantage of cars attacking you at every available opportunity.

Try again with the MTB, fit slick tires to make it easier, go out and just have fun.

OP
OP
E

EllasFella

Hi. Thanks, Trembler. I have slicks on one of the MTB's (Marin Palisades Trail), but I figured that any advantage I could get out of skinny tyres would be worth it. I'll be using the bike to hopefully commute to a new job soon, and find MTB's a little too "clunky", if you know what I mean.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
ok this is simple...you need the right tools for the right jobs. So go get this:

1) Flash road bike for dribbling over and posing when fit again
2) Quality tourer for just about anything you need it to be including getting fit, commuting, winter hack, and even touring bike
3) Keep the mtb for mechanical and target practice
4) oh ok then...get an audax or sportif as well...might as well have the full set.

..money's no object you said right?;):ohmy:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If was doing things all over again I'd buy a really decent audax bike. Anyway get thee off to a bicycle shop for a test ride ;).

Monst

Welcome EllasFella - can't help but noticing that you live in Peterborough, which is flat. As such, after a few weeks you should have no problems getting about! A good run is from Peterborough, using the cycle hub trails to go to Whittlesly and back - do that a couple of times a week and you should, after 3 weeks be able to do the whole circular hub in an afternoon.

As we are in winter and I appreciate you may not like cycling at night, you could both try swimming once or twice a week or going for a walk once or twice a week at a fastish pace (to get ever so slightly out of breath) then cycle at the weekends. Once the lighter evenings come then you can cycle more.

Don't worry about spending money yet on new bikes - the risk being that you may both get fed up quickly because of weather and a seemingly lack of progress that your new steeds will just end up unused like your last pair. As above, fit less aggressive tyres, put the saddle to the right height and your bikes will be less clunky. Once you are sure that you both like to cycle, then get a new bike. Just please stay out of Hafrauds!

You can get a 'single speed' style bike, but with gears - a bike equipped with a Roloff hub, Nexus Hub or Sturmy Archer hub will be absolutly fine. Racing bikes are light and fast, but also can be uncomfortable if you are not used to them. A flat bar, 700cc wheel size touring bike fitted with slick tyres would suit you perfectly. Bit like these two really!

Revolution Pathfinder Nexus '08 (Only available from the Edinborough bike co -op)
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C105&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002910

or this one - Specialized Globe Elite '08 (available at any specialized dealer)
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...QRY=C105&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003155c002910

They do 'lady' versions too

OP
OP
E

EllasFella

Unfortunately, my limit is going to have to be about £350, give or take, as my wife, understandably, doesn't want me blowing a wad of cash on the shiniest toy, just for me to not use, as is pretty much the case with the others. Oh, and what is an "audax"? (I've been away for so very long...);)

gbb

Legendary Member
Monst said:
Welcome EllasFella - can't help but noticing that you live in Peterborough, which is flat. As such, after a few weeks you should have no problems getting about! A good run is from Peterborough, using the cycle hub trails to go to Whittlesly and back - do that a couple of times a week and you should, after 3 weeks be able to do the whole circular hub in an afternoon.
As we are in winter and I appreciate you may not like cycling at night, you could both try swimming once or twice a week or going for a walk once or twice a week at a fastish pace (to get ever so slightly out of breath) then cycle at the weekends. Once the lighter evenings come then you can cycle more.

Don't worry about spending money yet on new bikes - the risk being that you may both get fed up quickly because of weather and a seemingly lack of progress that your new steeds will just end up unused like your last pair. As above, fit less aggressive tyres, put the saddle to the right height and your bikes will be less clunky. Once you are sure that you both like to cycle, then get a new bike. Just please stay out of Hafrauds!

You can get a 'single speed' style bike, but with gears - a bike equipped with a Roloff hub, Nexus Hub or Sturmy Archer hub will be absolutly fine. Racing bikes are light and fast, but also can be uncomfortable if you are not used to them. A flat bar, 700cc wheel size touring bike fitted with slick tyres would suit you perfectly. Bit like these two really!

Revolution Pathfinder Nexus '08 (Only available from the Edinborough bike co -op)

or this one - Specialized Globe Elite '08 (available at any specialized dealer)

They do 'lady' versions too

Hi ellasfella, and welcome :tongue:. Its nice to see another local.
Monst is right about that route to Whittlesey..its a joy in the good weather.
Key theatre, head out of town alongside the Nene, over the Potters Lane slipway, then its all very good cyclepath all the way to Whittlesey...no cars (obviously) and very few people, and some nice countryside.

To be fair, any decent modern bike (road, hybrid or mtb) with derailleur gears 'should' be quite reliable...they only really mess up if you mess with them. Usually, its just a cable adjustment..if you do get problems.

One point...you mention riding with the wife. If you get a roadbike...she may struggle to keep up..or you may find yourself going as slow as she..it maybe equally fustrating if you 'could' get a mush on, but the lady gets left behind.
Its not the end of the world, but just a point.

Mr Pig

Hi there and welcome :0)

Making the bike faster is all very well but why do you want to? The whole point is to work your body so a better bike will just mean you've got to go further to do the same work.

Don't worry about it. If you go out maybe three tomes a week you'll find that your fitness will increase rapidly. Within a few months you'll be going for miles. Just get on with it! ;0)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i got back into cycling by commuting by bike, a 9 mile round trip. in one year i lost 11kg, dropped my bmi from 30 to 21, halved my cholestrol level. and my diet is nothing very healthy.

a little and often can do wonders…

postman

Legendary Member
Ask Vernon from Meanwood.He is the man for Audax information.You want to see and drool over his Dave Yates bike.

gbb said:
One point...you mention riding with the wife. If you get a roadbike...she may struggle to keep up..or you may find yourself going as slow as she..it maybe equally fustrating if you 'could' get a mush on, but the lady gets left behind.
Its not the end of the world, but just a point.

ROFLMAO

Equally SHE could keep having to stop and wait for YOU :biggrin:

That's what'd happen if me and Mr M went out on bikes together :tongue::blush:

I think bikes you have sound OK for the job- get a padded saddle if you need it to start off and just have short runs - 30 mins or six miles - that sort of thing. Then just build up slowly. You see mountain bikes on the london to brighton run so they really are not bad for the road. They usually have a great gear range that new cyclists need. (although it is rather flat around your way).

In time you may find you want to move on to a new bike of a different breed but try and resist it at the start because the bike you will choose for now will not suit you in six months if you get fitter thinner and keener!

Arch

Married to Night Train
One thing to think about - what sort of tyres do your bikes have? If they are knobblies, then one simple thing you can do to make then easier to ride is to swap the tyres for more slick ones. Knobbles act like glue on tarmc, or any surface that is better than actual mud. The tyres can still be chunky, and give you a decent amount of 'suspension', but just smoother. Big Apples are good. The higher the pressure you can get in them the better, too, for rolling resistance.

Ask at a good local bike shop if you aren't sure about buying or fitting tyres.

oh! and welcome... :biggrin:

Top Bottom