Hi to all commuters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
in answer to number 1

Well I sold the car but before that I could not bring myself to chicken out, MAN UP and get on is what I would think, and lets face its only water, and as I tell them at work,

'contrary to popular belief you don't actually shrink in the rain, just get wet ' !
biggrin.gif

sonic

It's all about having decent kit! Cycling in the wet is soul destroying in clothes that let you get soaked through. but get yourself a decent set of cycling waterproof trousers, a breathable waterproof jacket, waterproof rucksack (no messing with bags/covers) and overshoes/waterproof shorts, and it is exhilarating! you feel invincible! spray and rain going everywhere, just bouncing off you, and you still bone dry on the inside. then you get to work, peel off your outer layer and you're ready to go - awake, refreshed and completely ready for a day of work!

the more i commuted to work by bike, the more I enjoyed rainy days. You start to realise that arriving at work by car, you are still groggy and sluggish. A blast of exercise before work, especially in the refreshing rain, is a ruddy brilliant way to start the day. But you really need to bite the bullet, do the job properly, and buy the proper kit. cause it's not that cheap! (just think of the savings you are still making over the car/bus).

OP
OP
R

RossM

Thanks for all the answers guys.

My commute (the bike part) is only short so I suppose I really just need to get out of the habit of getting the bus for that part of the journey. As has been said, I think I need to start "just doing it" and getting up in the morning with the mindset that I am taking the bike regardless.

Having read some people's tales on here I realise that I am quite lucky - I have a 1/2 mile ride to the station, a 40 minute train journey and then a 3.5 mile ride the other end - 90% of which are cycle lanes/paths.

With the rucksack cover, I think I need to consider it a bit more. Although the rucksack is a "proper" laptop rucksack, I'm just conscious of it getting soaked through. Having HUMP emblazoned on the side doesn't bother me but I just don't know if they're worth the money. Not keen on going down the pannier route - I'm a big bloke hoping to lose a bit of weight by cycling so I think using a rucksack can only be better exercise !

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm a big bloke hoping to lose a bit of weight by cycling so I think using a rucksack can only be better exercise !

Less weight on the back means less weight on the arse.

Although for a relatively short commute this is unlikely to be a big deal.

Top Bottom