HiFi questions CD player, DAB/CD/Spotify connect combo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Errr

I thought he did. :whistle:

... and decent but not top-flight... :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
... and decent but not top-flight... :smile:

Yep, not even the better Japanese brands, I'd put Pioneer above them for sound quality likewise Denon but some people wet their Y fronts over the brands. Technics made their reputation on the 1210 direct drive DJ turntable as for Kenwood well I suppose the Chef food mixer was good but Audio products nyet,
Some other Japanese brands were good, Nakamishi made the best cassette decks and Yamaha made a few decent Amps and tape decks under their 'natural sound' line and quite a few companies made very good phono cartridges.

Venod

Eh up
Yamaha made a few decent Amps
OK I am not an audiophile, my hearing is not the best.

We run Yamaha music cast system through a Yamaha WXA 50, to match to Dali bookshelf speakers at each side of the telly and a Yamaha bass speaker below, a small amp powers the KEF floor speakers at the rear of the room. The telly plays through the setup, we have Yamaha Music Cast speakers in the Kitchen and Bedroom, the kitchen one also stores and plays online radio, I ripped all my CDs to a connected NAS Drive a while ago, but it doesn't get much use, Spotify is so convenient, a Yamaha app controls things, it also stores favourite net stations, it has audio inputs so a CD deck would connect to it.

http://yamaha-es.com/en/products/audio_visual/wireless_streaming_amplifiers/wxa-50/index.html

Drago

Legendary Member
Hate to disillusion you but Kenwood and Technics are certainly NOT 'top flight'.

You might want to get new glasses. I actually said "...decent but NOT top flight..." It seems you have just spent 20 minutes agreeing with me.

It's OK gear, decent enough, its done me very well across near on 4 decades, but its not in the big leagues. My Leak gear would be nearer the mark but I've been criminally lazy on not even unpacking it since I divorced and moved out. That'll need proper attention before ever coming back into service.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You might want to get new glasses. I actually said "...decent but NOT top flight..." It seems you have just spent 20 minutes agreeing with me.

It's OK gear, decent enough, its done me very well across near on 4 decades, but its not in the big leagues. My Leak gear would be nearer the mark but I've been criminally lazy on not even unpacking it since I divorced and moved out. That'll need proper attention before ever coming back into service.

A comma would have helped, I read it as your hifi was OK but not top flight like technics and kenwood

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A comma would have helped, I read it as your hifi was OK but not top flight like technics and kenwood
@Drago getting more than 75% of the correct letters in post is an achievement, dont expect his dogy fingers to worry about punctuation.
anyway getting away from you guys splitting hairs.....
The CD may need the lid removing to see if there is any fluff etc causing it to return. Worth a look and a blast with electrical contact cleaner, but probably not worth repair. Does the amp have and spare inputs ?
I'm going to take the lid off and see if there is any fluff or stuff causing it. Maybe a wipe down with isopropyl alcohol / brake disc cleaner on a cotton bud. I dont think its an elec contact issue, the tray responds to the buttons, it just won't stay out, like it hits something and retracts like a turtles nose.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks T4tomo. As he is aware, but others may not be, I have no feeling in the outside two fingers on my right hand, and my little pinky doesn't obey commands at all. As a result my typokig is atrocities.

Must make playing Guitar difficult....................Oh wait a minute you play a Bass I nearly forgot

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Cd player opened up, cleaned and fixed, for now - Hopefully "fix"will last. Hooked up iPad as well so have that as Spotify option too.
PXL_20230825_165616931.jpg

Top Bottom