High 5 4:1 Vs Holland & Barret ISO Energy......any thoughts??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Further to my post re' my upcoming 68 mile attempt.

I use the Holland & Barret ISO for when I do a hard/fast 45 minutes on the exercise bike or when I go walking (say a 10 miler) and I find it helps a quite lot.
I have never tried any other energy drink
H & B is 1/4 of the price of the High 5 4:1

Now.........this 68 miler will be a lot more than I have ever done (plus at 68 years old it will be harder)..........so.....
If the High 5 4:1 would make the difference of completing it or not--- it is a "no brainer".

Any thoughts from those who have tried them?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The High5 4:1 product is a completely different beast. It is a carbohydrate/protein mix, the Holland and Barret drink an isotonic carbohydrate drink. A comparable product from the High5 range would be this. This is cheaper on a per serving basis than the H&B product, when the H&B product is priced as per normal, i.e. not discounted.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
The High5 4:1 product is a completely different beast. It is a carbohydrate/protein mix, the Holland and Barret drink an isotonic carbohydrate drink. A comparable product from the High5 range would be this. This is cheaper on a per serving basis than the H&B product, when the B&B product is priced as per normal, i.e. not discounted.

Thanks for that.
So..........will the High5 4:1 be noticeably/markedly better at helping me complete the long ride ??
Incidentally......my OH brought home 3 of the H&B yedsterday as they were half price...........BUT THAT wont deter me from using the High 5 for those long rides if it is much better.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'd say the High5 4:1 is more for multi-day events or heavy blocks of training due to the whey protein's impact on recovery. In terms of getting to the end of a single day ride, it wouldn't be markedly better than standard High5 Energy Source or Isotonic.

Nor would any of these products be better than real food, which would be a good idea, if you aren't riding on the limit and can consume food.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you're shopping on price, you're better buying a big tub. Just bought one of these, should last me all year...
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-energy-source-plus-22kg/ £18 for 2.2kg trumps the H&B one easily...
Excellent..........many thanks.
Unfortunately 1 day too late for me as my OH brough home 3 x 450 grm H&B .........half price @ £4.00 each. So the High5 is still better value even with H&B at half price.

siadwell

Guru
High5 4:1 is 'orrible stuff. The one time I used it on a ride I was very nearly sick, as the protein content gives it a slimy texture. As Rob3ert pointed out, it has protein to help you recover after heavy effort, so to keep yourself fuelled during exercise, stick with a carbs-only drink (I use High5 Energy Source).
Bear in mind though as a rule of thumb that the body has enough easily-used fuel in the form of glycogen to last for about 90 minutes of exercise, so don't overdo it with the carbs on shorter efforts.

Top Bottom