High Cadence

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
On all three bikes I seem to be unstable (bouncing off the saddle) at more than 115 revs/minute. Of course it is not a problem with the geared bikes but with the single speed I am limited to about 35kph. Any tips, anyone?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drop the saddle slightly (mm's) I can only get to about 150-160 rpm before things get messy and my knees explode.

D

Deleted member 1258

Keep practicing, the more you spin the easier and smoother you will get

now that really p***** me orff - only 160rpm!
If that pi55es you off I'm keeping quiet
whistling2.gif

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Practice.

Try changing the singlespeed to fixed - you'll have no choice but to pedal fast then, so you learn faster.
I've found I can pedal faster when trying to speed up than when I'm just keeping up with the pedals, and I agreed that a slightly low saddle helps a bit. Shorter cranks help too.

I could keep up 155-160 for about a mile before it got a bit wearing and I braked, and I maxed out at 198.
There was also the time I tried leg braking only down a 1 in 6 and failed. It might have been a higher rpm, but I was too busy trying to not crash to look at the computer. Once the back wheel starts bouncing, trying to use the brakes just makes things worse. Fortunately the bottom of the hill arrived in time.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
I did ride fixed for about two months but began to develop kneeecap tracking problem which a v g kiwi cycling physio said was probably attributable to leg braking.

I seem to have two cheap options that I will try before the drastic option of changing crank size
  • raise the saddle - 515
  • lower the saddle - fossyant and Andrew
Maybe I will compromise and just keep practising.

Seriously, what is the level of cadence do you all find comfortable/sustainable?

baldycyclist

Über Member
Crikey
mine is about 85 to 90 RPM and I think that keeps me going along at about 18-20 mph quite happily. I think I would need a totally new block if I ever got to 160 RPM!

Top Bottom