High Intensity Interval Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeroesFitness

There are many types of HIIT programs but I am wondering what the best type is for an off road cyclist, any suggestions and positive stories would be much appreciated

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I suggest taking your mountain bike well away from Norwich and riding it really hard up some proper off-road climbs! :thumbsup: For example, those on the Mary Towneley Loop, which is a tough local route.

OP
OP
HeroesFitness

HeroesFitness

I suggest taking your mountain bike well away from Norwich and riding it really hard up some proper off-road climbs! :thumbsup: For example, those on the Mary Towneley Loop, which is a tough local route.
That would be nice to do, I was looking for a more local spot as I do not know many areas around Norwich where I can do a decent ride with hills, I will do more research, I have been a little lazy with my cycling and have been playing more golf recently

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
That would be nice to do, I was looking for a more local spot as I do not know many areas around Norwich where I can do a decent ride with hills, I will do more research, I have been a little lazy with my cycling and have been playing more golf recently

Drive or cycle to Cromer. Park up, then cycle towards Sheringham along the coast road.

Take a left in East Runton and climb your first hill until you reach the main Cromer to Holt 'top' road. Hang a right towards Holt and take the next right back down to the Cromer - Sheringham coast road again.

Continue this process of climbing and descending all the way to Weybourne. First left in the village, then first left again taking you up past the N.N. Railway.

Rejoin the Holt to Cromer road and repeat the process heading back toward Cromer so that you'll be climbing in reverse order on the homeward part of the loop.

You can extend this along to Salhouse if you wish, but I think the shorter route would be plenty tough enough to start with!

Should do the trick!:smile:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
First of all decide if HIT is actually what you need.

Most people can't hardly ride for an hour without blowing. And HIT is the hard way of starting to get fit. Its a fad and cannot be sustained. Enjoying riding longer a stepping stone to getting faster

Moodyman

Legendary Member
HIT works, but you need to get your base fitness up first,and then use HIT to complement your general riding.

HIT is not a fad, professional athletes have been doing it for years. If done properly it should leave you absolutely shattered, so no more than 2-3 sessions per week.

OP
OP
HeroesFitness

HeroesFitness

Drive or cycle to Cromer. Park up, then cycle towards Sheringham along the coast road.

Take a left in East Runton and climb your first hill until you reach the main Cromer to Holt 'top' road. Hang a right towards Holt and take the next right back down to the Cromer - Sheringham coast road again.

Continue this process of climbing and descending all the way to Weybourne. First left in the village, then first left again taking you up past the N.N. Railway.

Rejoin the Holt to Cromer road and repeat the process heading back toward Cromer so that you'll be climbing in reverse order on the homeward part of the loop.

You can extend this along to Salhouse if you wish, but I think the shorter route would be plenty tough enough to start with!

Should do the trick!:smile:
This looks a tough course to do, i may check the route out in the car first when i go down to the coast, thanks for the info :-)

OP
OP
HeroesFitness

HeroesFitness

HIT works, but you need to get your base fitness up first,and then use HIT to complement your general riding.

HIT is not a fad, professional athletes have been doing it for years. If done properly it should leave you absolutely shattered, so no more than 2-3 sessions per week.
I have HIIT on a rowing machine several years ago and it worked a treat, but never tried it with cycling, I know i can cope with it just need to know what results people have had and what has worked best for them.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Golf is my relaxation, well except for when I have a double bogey and my putter gets bent lol
When I was a teenager I used to go for the odd round of 'pitch and putt' with my mates. We didn't take it that seriously but it was fun for us non-golfers.

One time, a friend came along who turned out to have absolutely no golfing ability whatsoever. He took forever to get the ball within putting distance, and then he would ludicrously over-putt it. I'm talking putting from a yard away from the hole. and the ball ending up 20 yards away! He just couldn't hit it gently. Weird ...

Anyway, the rest of us were cracking up watching this display of incompetence. We were crying with laughter, and he didn't like it. In the end, he cracked, and in a Basil Fawlty-like outburst, he started whipping the ground with his putter. Then he threw it away like a javelin and stormed off! :laugh:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I have HIIT on a rowing machine several years ago and it worked a treat, but never tried it with cycling, I know i can cope with it just need to know what results people have had and what has worked best for them.

On a bike you find a steep hill between 100-300m. Ride up it 2/3 gears higher than you would otherwise. Freewheel back down and repeat until you feel like you're totally spent. Rest a little and repeat some more.

Top Bottom