High on a hill...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Very very interesting stuff. The Lake District is actually one of our earliest industrial landscapes, which is somewhat different from the way it's seen nowadays.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Does the leg on the second photo belong to Arch?:smile:

Not unless I've developed a rather odd shaped body, since I was taking the photo...

Yeah, Kirstie, the point was made to us that even while Wordsworth was wandering lonely as a daffodil, or whatever he did, there was industrial slate extraction going on, with resultant hammering and blasting. Not such a rural idyll as he would have had us think from his poems...

Arch said:
Not unless I've developed a rather odd shaped body, since I was taking the photo...

Yeah, Kirstie, the point was made to us that even while Wordsworth was wandering lonely as a daffodil, or whatever he did, there was industrial slate extraction going on, with resultant hammering and blasting. Not such a rural idyll as he would have had us think from his poems...

I wandered lonely as a Cloud
That floats on high o'er Vales and Hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of slate workers golden daffodils;

Authors note: "I couldn't get slate workers to rhyme with hills."

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I have always championed the preservation of the industrial heritage in the Lake District with the Park Authority. I was really upset when Greenside Lead Mine was 'beautified' after it closed. Now you still have an eyesore where nothing will grow but without the references to its industrial heritage.

The Park Authority seems to be trying to erase this part of the Lake District's heritage. Their thinking is too influenced by bodies like the FLD and the Ramblers who only want their vision for the place to prevail. People like John Brockbank at the redeveloped wood turning yard in Staveley are seen as threats to this rural idyll, even though places like that offer real jobs to local people.

So I'm pleased to see the new owner of the Honister slate works is making a go of it, despite the planners blocking his every move. The Lake District is the product of thousands of years of man's influence. We must conserve all aspects of its formation, even if that includes man's less thoughtful developments. We mustn't let it stagnate as solely a fantasy illustration for some tacky chocolate box top.

Tim Bennet. said:
I have always championed the preservation of the industrial heritage in the Lake District with the Park Authority. I was really upset when Greenside Lead Mine was 'beautified' after it closed. Now you still have an eyesore where nothing will grow but without the references to its industrial heritage.

The Park Authority seems to be trying to erase this part of the Lake District's heritage. Their thinking is too influenced by bodies like the FLD and the Ramblers who only want their vision for the place to prevail. People like John Brockbank at the redeveloped wood turning yard in Staveley are seen as threats to this rural idyll, even though places like that offer real jobs to local people.

So I'm pleased to see the new owner of the Honister slate works is making a go of it, despite the planners blocking his every move. The Lake District is the product of thousands of years of man's influence. We must conserve all aspects of its formation, even if that includes man's less thoughtful developments. We mustn't let it stagnate as solely a fantasy illustration for some tacky chocolate box top.

Arch was nodding her head in agreement until she read the last four words. :smile:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tim Bennet. said:
The Lake District is the product of thousands of years of man's influence. We must conserve all aspects of its formation, even if that includes man's less thoughtful developments. We mustn't let it stagnate as solely a fantasy illustration for some tacky chocolate box top.

Exactly. Considering that man's first 'less thoughtful development' was to cut down the trees on what would otherwise have been forested hills, in order to graze the new exotic import - sheep. What we see now is not 'natural' and hasn't been for thousands of years. Although of course, I wouldn't want a motorway driven through it... I suppose tourism is now as important as any industry of the past, and it's a delicate balancing act...

Even as we were being given a short talk on the various stone axe types, we could hear the sirens and blasting at a quarry way below. That's continuity!

Chocolate box tops are silly. They just prevent you from getting to the chocolates quickly...:smile:

Cheers Canrider, I'm pleased with the pics, all taken with my new point and shoot camera. You could hardly fail to capture a great view up there.

I've never had much respect for Wordworth after I heard his poem about a pond, which includes a couplet that goes something like "I've measured it from side to side, 'tis four foot long and three foot wide..." He should have worked for Hallmark!

Arch said:
I do have other trousers, honest! But black is so slimming... (it has to be!):smile:

Look how clean the trousers are! I don't think that Arch spent the weekend climbing down holes. It's all a put up job with Photoshop and she really spent the weekend with a climbing instructor in a Travel Lodge in Whitehaven. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Patrick Stevens said:
Look how clean the trousers are! I don't think that Arch spent the weekend climbing down holes. It's all a put up job with Photoshop and she really spent the weekend with a climbing instructor in a Travel Lodge in Whitehaven. :smile:

You should have seen my knees! And my back - that's from squeezing under low roofs, BTW, before you say anything, not from lying on the chalk...

Top Bottom