High viz vest a must?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
andygates said:
If his view was unhindered and the sightline was clear and there was plenty of time, then hiviz won't have mattered a damn. He either wasn't looking, or he was doing one of those "sweeping looks" that somehow misses out some (usually moving) objects. *

Hiviz might make you feel safer, but it will do nothing to point a driver's eyeballs towards you or to connect them to the driver's brain.

* No, really, it's to do with brain wiring or something.

Hi-Viz vests wont always help I agree. But if by wearing a hi vix vest youare seen a couple of seconds earlier then all the better.

I am amazed at the number of cyclists in the darker hours who ride on the road with not even with a reflector on thair bike , yetalone lights or a something to catch their attention.

Adrian

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
FWIW I wear a hi-viz sam browne from about sep-mar - ie, when I'm going to be riding in anything but broad daylight. But as someone else has said, the only safe thing to do is assume that everyone's an idiot and no-one's seen you, and be prepared whatever happens. (If I'm on the main drag and a car up ahead is joining from the left, eg, I'll generally glance over my shoulder to make sure I have room, then move right out, so that even if they do suddenly pull out I'll have time/room to avoid them.)

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have a HiViz fluorescent yellow fleece with reflective stripes, suitable for H&S site work. I figure if I wear it then it is one less reason for a driver not to see me. Granted I can't make them look but if they do look at least they will see.
I also ride (and drive) defensively and assume that everyone is out to get me and so I would rather let them go then get hit.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
[quote name='swee'pea99']But as someone else has said, the only safe thing to do is assume that everyone's an idiot and no-one's seen you, and be prepared whatever happens. [/quote]

Yep that's what I do.

chipmonster

Where can I buy a Dinotte daylight warning light from?

Thanks

Ben Lovejoy said:
Doesn't sound like anything much would have helped with that particular 'driver' (more like a passenger on that occasion, it would seem ...), but in general I'd say hi-vis tends to be noticed.

For the ultimate in protection from rear-end collisions, I highly recommend a Dinotte daylight warning light. These are amber, and show up well even on a bright sunny day. I find that when that is strobing away, the majority of traffic tends to stay behind me until I actively wave them past. :-)

I suspect the combination of unusual vehicle and FOAD flashing amber light creates sufficient confusion about what sort of vehicle I am that they play safe.

Ben

rootes

I wear mine at all times... loads of crap drivers, pedestrians, othe cyclists...

you like like a git, but got to help a bit.

I got a pearl izumi vagabond II high viz wind/waterproof jacket, but the sleeves and shoulders zip off for sunny weather

Top Bottom