Higher-end / quality / serviceble water bottles..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm currently running a pair of Camelbak Podiums which are fine in themselves and have given generally good service for the four years I've had them.

However, the tops are now getting really grotty and I'm struggling to disassemble them to clean them; having damaged one attempting to get them apart with no mouthpiece spares being obviously available on the net. I try to "buy for life" and am not prepared to just chuck these away and replace them with the same, so can anyone point me in the direction of decent, fully-serviceable alternatives please?

On paper I like the idea of stainless, however I'm not sure how a lid would work and I like the squeezyness of the plastic tbh..

All suggestions greatfully considered ;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There aren't any. My Podiums lasted years, but they do get tatty like any other, and the mouth pieces meant they needed throwing in the end. I tend to get what's on offer at Planet X - do years of service before being rather tatty.

However, the tops are now getting really grotty and I'm struggling to disassemble them to clean them; having damaged one attempting to get them apart with no mouthpiece spares being obviously available on the net. I try to "buy for life" and am not prepared to just chuck these away and replace them with the same

Admirable goal :notworthy:

I think removing the mouthpiece is straightforward - a bit of twisting/prying/twisting. Then use normal baby bottle steriliser for an hour or two.
AH; here's an officlal video:

View: https://youtu.be/c-VCHklIV8g
Seems to show a newer design than I have, different disassenbly process!
EDIT: here's an amateur taking an older one apart

View: https://youtu.be/gFQhOdBQOhw

Not aware of anything better (or even comparable).

si_c

Guru
I use Fabric water bottles, you can remove the mouthpiece and put the whole lot through the dishwasher no problem at all.

I've also used Tacx and Zefal water bottles for years with no problems either.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Admirable goal :notworthy:

I think removing the mouthpiece is straightforward - a bit of twisting/prying/twisting. Then use normal baby bottle steriliser for an hour or two.
AH; here's an officlal video:

View: https://youtu.be/c-VCHklIV8g
Seems to show a newer design than I have, different disassenbly process!
EDIT: here's an amateur taking an older one apart

View: https://youtu.be/gFQhOdBQOhw

Not aware of anything better (or even comparable).

Thanks for finding those - the second one nailed it. As you say, mouthpiece removal is straightforward, disassembly not so much. I've now managed to strip the mouthpiece and clean out most of the black nastyness that was inside, although the silicone O-ring inside remains grotty.

I'll probably strip, scrub and soak the two I have and see how I go from there. Hopefully the newer ones might come to bits a bit easier, so might order some replacements (thanks @Jody!) and look towards a better cleaning schedule in future to prevent them getting too far gone.

Fabric water bottles
Ta - I'll put them on the "if this doesn't work..." shortlist!

Podiums are pants. WHY so complicated - what is all that bobbins on the inside of the cap ? Hugely over engineered.
You can never drain the bottle unless you take the top off.
That said they do last for years if you look after them. Just rinse and wash after use and you'll have no issues.

Best bottle I have now is one I found on the golf course. Properly 750ml - not like those American Podiums that cheat you on the volume and a nice soft plastic that lets you squeeze it properly, the podiums are tougher. Sadly I've not found a matching one but it's grey with a black lid and a red valve...

Jameshow

Veteran
I have an SIS bottle which has been good. Boardman one's ok, commonwealth games one - it was the only thing reasonably priced at £5.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Interesting thread. I’d like to use something non plastic but I’ve not found a suitable steel one yet. The ability to squeeze and not rattle tips things toward plastic. I have a very cheap pair of 750 ml Tacx bottles, which are great, simple but yes, plastic. I also have one of the very thin walled bottles like the Elite fly range which is ok but you can easily drink too much at one go. Will soon be getting the Thermos out again!

presta

Guru
I had a set of Zefal Magnum bottles that lasted about 15 years, the rubber nozzles went brittle in the end. I never put anything other than tap water in them, so there were no cleaning problems that a rinse under the tap or an occasional soak in Milton tabs couldn't sort. Someone on the CTC forum posted a picture of the top from a bottle that had been used for foodstuffs, and the valve was full of black slime like you'd expect to see when you're cleaning a drain.

Broadside

Guru
I used a couple of Podiums for a good few years, you’re right the mouthpiece is a nightmare to keep clean. I’ve switched to the Elite Superfly bottles now, you can find them fairly cheap and if they’re good enough for pro teams then they will do for me!

They are very easy to squeeze which makes a difference on very long rides and the flow out of the nozzle is excellent. I think they are great.

freiston

Veteran
I'm a bit late to this thread.

I gave up on regular type bidons some time ago on account of leaking and crud off the road getting on the nozzles. I went for Ion8 Leak Proof. They're very tough rigid plastic, wide neck and are translucent - so you can see how much drink you have left. The nozzle is open with no valve and there is a small airhole so that you can swig/pour without squeezing the bottle (which you can't do because it is rigid). It has a spring-loaded cover which doubles as the seal for the nozzle and the airhole, and it has a lockable latch. It can be opened very easily one-handed but is more difficult to close one-handed (but I can shut it with my chin whilst holding it one-handed). I usually stop and take in the view/take a breather when I have a drink, so one-handed operation isn't something I often do. They are very simple and easy to clean and you can get spare parts for them too (lids, seals).

My two bottles, 750ml and 1000ml, have the same diameter (I measure it as 78mm) but they have no recess like regular bidons that many cages are designed to "grip" and so I had to change my cages (to Zefal Pulse Full Aluminium Bottle Cage). I'm not sure, but I think that the current range has a mix of diameters.

I really like them and have been using them for almost four years now - the 750ml one almost daily as I use it off the bike too.

froze

Über Member
I've always bought Polar bottles, they last for years, I've had mine for 9 years and still going strong, plus Polar bottles are made in the USA vs the Camelback made in China. Insulated value, there is only about a 1/2 of a degree difference between the Polar and the Camelback Podium when both were setting outside for an hour, so I wouldn't buy one over the other based on that; however, the new Podium 4X Ice does insulate far better than the other two. As far as the nipples are concerned, I have no problems whatsoever with the Polar nipple, and when it's closed I get no leakage.

Top Bottom