Higher-end Raleigh Tourers; Royal and Randonneur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Here is mine. Its one of the first produced from 1987. I have put a 7sp block on with indexed(!) downtube shifters. Plus the TRP levers. I like it a lot and often think if I had to have one bike this may be it as it tours but with lighter tyres feels relatively "light"
1650625944762.png

1650626220078.png

1650626245231.png

1650626288935.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
Here is mine. Its one of the first produced from 1987. I have put a 7sp block on with indexed(!) downtube shifters. Plus the TRP levers. I like it a lot and often think if I had to have one bike this may be it as it tours but with lighter tyres feels relatively "light"
View attachment 641225

View attachment 641227

View attachment 641228

View attachment 641229

Lovely!

I notice the Acera RD with approval; I've used them on quite a few of the bikes I've repaired for other people and have always thought they are great. I was very pleased to read that Rivendell bikes in the US think that they are a bargain - steel pantograph and last forever.

20.12 New York for tea..JPG

Our pair of Royal and Touriste. My Royal is without doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. My wife's Touriste was her first "proper" bike after a Halfords ladies shopper. The straight bars and bar ends have helped and I did receive lots of help on this forum regarding my position on the bike. I could not believe the difference this made to my 78 year old body. The Touriste is exactly as I bought it on EBay. It had been used very lightly and my wife loves it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My Royal is without doubt the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

I've ridden a lot of different bikes over the years and I've come to exactly the same conclusion. The Royal 531 frame is really really comfortable.

Not a thoroughbred like some of the bikes in this thread but one of the most popular and reliable utility bikes has been the Raleigh Pioneer.
I've worked on scores of them and they always turn out as good rides.

The various steel Pioneers, and the 531 framed Gemini that was replaced by the Pioneer after a couple of years production, are basically Tourers with flat bars if you examine the frame geometry and consider things like tyre clearances.
The only downside to the 18-23 frame models with lower end parts on them is they carry a bit of a weight penalty, but you can't fault the ride and predictable handling.

David708ST

I bought a Randonneur with the 708 tubing second hand in late nineties with original passport book showing the design from new. The frame was a result of Raleigh’s special products division, with ribbed tubing profile. Beautiful ride.

Attachments

• 0BF5A033-8639-4D70-80FD-AFA66C5093B9.jpeg
    0BF5A033-8639-4D70-80FD-AFA66C5093B9.jpeg
    276.5 KB · Views: 19

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This my Raleigh Royal. I bought it a couple of months back, in a pretty filthy state. Everything was under a thick layer of muck and nothing worked. Even the wheel bearings were very tight and rough.
After a full strip down and refurbishment, a through clean and polish with some new cables, tyres and mudguards and a few odds and ends, this what was underneath.
A 1987 Royal, frame WK70067.
A531st frame, fork and stays in very good condition, just a few little chips, nothing serious.
I'll probably keep it and add it to my stable of steel framed bikes.

20220722_131127.jpg

20220722_131200.jpg

20220722_130940.jpg

This my Raleigh Royal. I bought it a couple of months back, in a pretty filthy state. Everything was under a thick layer of muck and nothing worked. Even the wheel bearings were very tight and rough.
After a full strip down and refurbishment, a through clean and polish with some new cables, tyres and mudguards and a few odds and ends, this what was underneath.
A 1987 Royal, frame WK70067.
A531st frame, fork and stays in very good condition, just a few little chips, nothing serious.
I'll probably keep it and add it to my stable of steel framed bikes.

View attachment 655213

View attachment 655214

View attachment 655215

Looks very nice !

Top Bottom