Higher handlebars - beginner!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Augustine said:
OK, so from what i can work out, because i've got a threaded set up, i can't just buy a longer stem because those are for threadless set ups. so, all i can do is try and lift my stem up as far as i can and maybe get some compatible handlebars...

do i lift the threaded stem up by just loosening the bolt pointing down into the stem with an alan key? or is it the bolts placed where the stem meets the frame?

You can buy a longer stem, or you can buy an adjustable stem, or one that is both. You just have to make sure yours is a 1"/quill/threaded stem, and if you wish to keep your handlebar that it has the right clamp size.

You can lift your current stem up to a certain point (there is usually a mark indicating) by loosening the bolt (as you described it pointing down into the stem). When you loosen that bolt the stem (and the handlebar) will be able to move up and down, and the fork will also be freed. You could then lift the stem up to the point where the higher limit mark is just visible, and then tighten the bolt (quite a bit) while ensuring the handlebar is square to the front wheel.

A reason why the BMX handlebar on ebay you suggested is incompatible with your existing stem is because it can not be slotted into the clamp of your stem. Your handlebar (most probably of 25.4mm diameter - you can check size, at the clamp, not at the grip) has to be capable of being maneuvered into your clamp.

There are actually many possibilities (e.g. including getting a stem raiser/extender etc.). But it is perhaps best to see how far you can get with what you have got first.

OP
OP
Augustine

Augustine

that's great advice, thank you. i love this forum!

Top Bottom