Scotland : Perthshire Highland Perthshire Challenge 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Epic write up, @Edwardoka and a clear writing style emerging - either :wacko: or :crazy:, not quite sure which.

Chapeau ! :bravo: to all of you for completing the 100 - and it's not the smoothest 100 miles you could find in Scotland !:bicycle:

Fubar

Guru
George rr martin has the courtesy to keep his bum cleavage to himself!

How did @Fubar , @GlasgowFinn and @DelB get on in the 50?

Hard for me to judge it on it's own as the 50 event was the middle part of my ride, I would have been disappointed to drive up and just do the flat 50 route though with the rides either side I was glad it was a fairly flat course with only the climb after Dunkeld being memorable - cycling solo up to Dunkeld into a headwind was a bit hard going but once at the climb I started picking up backmarkers which boosted my confidence being able to overtake a few with a some nice sweeping downhills.

EDIT: Looking at the results I clocked a time of 3:11:34 and came 63rd overall for the 50.

As an event the 50 would definitely suit a sportive first-timer (and would also make a good CC/Belles Informal Ride @Pat "5mph" ;), there must be a few cafe stops at Dunkeld) and I thought the homemade feel of the organisation really worked well and made it an enjoyable event overall - definitely recommended. I stuffed my face at each food stop and from memory managed 3 FULL Caramel Shortbread slices :hungry:

I did stop for one guy who had a rear puncture and asked if he needed help - "no, I'm waiting on my mate" - do you need any spares?? "No, I've got some and I'm waiting on my mate" - do you need a hand getting your wheel off then? "No, I'm..." Oh FFS then I'm off.

But overall it was a great day out, pity I missed the camaradarie of the group but if I couldn't have cycled up AND done the 100 AND cycled back - happy with my 200k though.

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Aha ! Beware, @Fubar - you are now entering Audax :bicycle::bicycle::bicycle:territory ... :wahhey: :hyper:

I've had my eye on the 3-Glen Explorer Audax for a while but don't know if I can face riding to Linlithgow to the start then riding BACK past the end of my road, THEN riding home after the finish! Need to consider my travel options.

I've also got in mind a 100-mile "Sma Glen" route from Dunfermline that some of the guys in DCC do, but at a pace that's too rich for my blood so might have to be a solo effort.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
@Edwardoka why don't you repost your account in the "Members Travelogues" section? I'm sure people who wouldn't necessarily read this thread would enjoy it!
I was thinking the same, far too good a write-up to be lost to the wider CC populace - one could almost say it needs to be Featured... :wahhey:
These things can be arranged - with THE POWER !!! ;)

Fubar

Guru
3 Glens Explorer is a good route and ride. Take car + bike to Liligow, drive back after.

Simples. :thumbsup:

Only one car now so it depends what Mrs Fubar has on that day - and I'm more attracted to rides that start and end at my door (not sure why!). But I digress, don't want to derail this excellent thread.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I've had my eye on the 3-Glen Explorer Audax for a while but don't know if I can face riding to Linlithgow to the start then riding BACK past the end of my road, THEN riding home after the finish! Need to consider my travel options.

I've also got in mind a 100-mile "Sma Glen" route from Dunfermline that some of the guys in DCC do, but at a pace that's too rich for my blood so might have to be a solo effort.
i fancy doing the 3 glens Audax

fimm

Veteran
The 3 Glens Explorer is great. There is a lot of Cake at the end (at least, there was the year I did it).
I was thinking of doing it again this year, but unfortunately I can't.

@Edwardoka why don't you repost your account in the "Members Travelogues" section? I'm sure people who wouldn't necessarily read this thread would enjoy it!
I did consider that after the third post, I never intended to write ~4,000 words about a sportive; the tale grew in the telling! It appears that it's been done for me :rolleyes: but without an introduction or an epilogue which I'll write tonight!

Top Bottom