Scotland : Perthshire Highland Perthshire Challenge (24th Aug)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did the Perthshire 100m last year, last 10 miles or so were killer, wee extra hill thrown in and I was dehydrated which was my own fault. Good day out though even in the rain and 7C temps on the day !

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Did the Perthshire 100m last year, last 10 miles or so were killer, wee extra hill thrown in and I was dehydrated which was my own fault. Good day out though even in the rain and 7C temps on the day !

Was the route overall pretty hilly or just a few nasty hills? Road surface any good?

My neck of the woods this one. Quite fast rolling with a few climbs thrown in for good measure. The start is just 5 miles from my front door!! Will be cycling there and back. :tongue:

I think some of the guys are going to do the 50 miler. We are doing quite a lot of longer rides and the 50 is a route we all know very well. 100 miler will be lots of fun too. Also a fantastic route! This time though will just being doing the 50, and aiming to do so quite fast. ^_^

Was the route overall pretty hilly or just a few nasty hills? Road surface any good?
Easy start with a couple of long steady ascents, one from Amulree to above Aberfeldy and then a stiff pull out of Pitlochry, and a few little ramps thrown in. Surfaces your usual mixed roads nothing unusual. Take advantage of refreshment stops is all I can say.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I've done a few 50 miler sportives and this is my chance to really challenge myself so thats why im attempting the 100 :laugh:

I'll prob spent longer at the stops than i will cycling :bicycle:

I rode the 50 route today in reverse. 61 miles total from my house. Beautiful on a day like today but worth noting that the Dunkeld-old military road is one of the worst in Scotland at the moment. I hope it's fixed by August as it's a sure fire wheel buckler!!

Happy i rode it in reverse as i nabbed a few climbs (the one at back of Dunkeld) as part of a total of 5 KOM's for the ride. Put the hammer down for the most of it and completed in a few minutes over 3 hours.

If i went the other way, i would have lost my KOM's to a speeding peloton come August!! :whistle:

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I rode the 50 route today in reverse. 61 miles total from my house. Beautiful on a day like today but worth noting that the Dunkeld-old military road is one of the worst in Scotland at the moment. I hope it's fixed by August as it's a sure fire wheel buckler!!

Happy i rode it in reverse as i nabbed a few climbs (the one at back of Dunkeld) as part of a total of 5 KOM's for the ride. Put the hammer down for the most of it and completed in a few minutes over 3 hours.

If i went the other way, i would have lost my KOM's to a speeding peloton come August!! :whistle:

Is that part of the route for the 100 miler?

Is that part of the route for the 100 miler?
It is indeed. The route is mostly a beautiful one. Especially Aberfeldy, Pitlochry and Dunkeld.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=332369

The 50 is a blast! It looks as though it goes in the other direction which is weird. My KOM's are under threat!!! :gun:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=332368

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It is indeed. The route is mostly a beautiful one. Especially Aberfeldy, Pitlochry and Dunkeld.

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=332369

The 50 is a blast! It looks as though it goes in the other direction which is weird. My KOM's are under threat!!! :gun:

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=332368

Would you say the 50 mile route was quite a good one for a first timer? I am tempted to give it a go as it is so close, if I can fit my bike in the back of a Fiat Panda. lol. The joys of retiring early due to stress and trying to live on a rather small works pension meant downsizing. Probably have to take both wheels off.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Would you say the 50 mile route was quite a good one for a first timer? I am tempted to give it a go as it is so close, if I can fit my bike in the back of a Fiat Panda. lol. The joys of retiring early due to stress and trying to live on a rather small works pension meant downsizing. Probably have to take both wheels off.

I've got my bike into a old clio before, it should fit :thumbsup:

Well first off, both wheels detach quite easily. That should get the bike in the car. If you struggle a bit with the back wheel then practice it until you know it inside out. :thumbsup:

I'd say it is a hugely enjoyable 50 miles. The route isn't too difficult and it is quite stunning scenery wise. You pass 5 lochs between Dunkeld and Blairgowrie. It's all rolling so no climbs that are out of the average cyclists capabilities. It's also in August so plenty of time to get a few decent length rides in for training. Plus it gives you a goal or a target!!

If the idea of taking part excites you at all, in any way, then i implore you to do it. Remember it's not road racing. All types of cyclists take part.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Well first off, both wheels detach quite easily. That should get the bike in the car. If you struggle a bit with the back wheel then practice it until you know it inside out. :thumbsup:

I'd say it is a hugely enjoyable 50 miles. The route isn't too difficult and it is quite stunning scenery wise. You pass 5 lochs between Dunkeld and Blairgowrie. It's all rolling so no climbs that are out of the average cyclists capabilities. It's also in August so plenty of time to get a few decent length rides in for training. Plus it gives you a goal or a target!!

If the idea of taking part excites you at all, in any way, then i implore you to do it. Remember it's not road racing. All types of cyclists take part.

Couldn't have said it better myself :smile:

It's a target for me and something I plan to do a good bit of training for instead of just doing some training runs and expecting to get round the course in good time

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
This is probably one of the nicest (and flattest :wahhey:) 50 mile rides that can be done in these parts ! ^_^

I did the inaugural one 2 years ago perthshire 3.jpg and it's a really good introduction to riding a bit further than you might have done before. IIRC, the only 'hill' is the climb up past the golf course out of Dunkeld - which is not too hard at all ... :sweat:

It's quite very likely that we will have one of our favourite CC Ecosse rides out of Perth before August and you really must come and ride it with us :bicycle: - we'd love to ride with you and meet you then.

Top Bottom