Highland Weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

Another highland cycling weekend for me. Glen Roy is a lush green beautiful place and the boggy moor out by Shesgnan was pretty wild. Stayed in the Melgarve bothy and kept snug as a rug with a nice fire.
Read my post about it here if you like.

I'm keen to have a go at the Corrieyairack Pass but can't think of a sensible way to make it a circular route.

I've also got an idea for a loop near Balmoral sometime soon.

Bit short on holiday time so its weekend escapes for me. Anyone else in the same boat? What are your plans?!?

Ooh! Interesting. How do you find out where the bothys are?

OP
OP
H

hubbike

The MBA are a bit secretive because they don't want them over-run with people (and the rubbish, vandalism and human waste problems that go with them) and are generally used by walkers, climbers and cyclists who've been told about them by someone else. If you join the MBA for £20 they give you a list of grid references.

Also if you search Google Image 'bothy' you can find out detective style....

ASC1951

Guru
hubbike said:
If you join the MBA for £20 they give you a list of grid references.
Fine outfit, well worth supporting.

Bothies are less use than you might think, IME, because you still need to take a tent or bivvy bag just in case you can't find it or its full. Some of the less remote ones are clogged up on summer weekends by Glaswegians who spend all day carrying a crate of tinnies up there and don't mind not getting any sleep. Also watch out for the MBA Catch the Sassenachs trick of installing a full electric light fitting, including wall switch, in a building ten miles from the nearest volts.

Some bothies are absolutely stunning; and I'm not saying where. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom