Highway Code changes to be announced later this year, with improvements for walking and cycling…

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having right of way is one thing - but it still doesn't mean that stopping alongside a long vehicle which is signalling left is in anyway a sensible thing to do!
or even a not so long vehicle for that matter - I normally only do it if I can make sure I am at least slightly in front to ensure that the driver can see me!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you are going straight on at a junction taking a primary position on the road is important.
but impossible to do in every lane at once on multilane roads.

Mike_P

Guru
but impossible to do in every lane at once on multilane roads.
True, the local one in particular I was thinking of is a T junction for road traffic but a crossroads for cyclists and their is a cycle lane on the road directly facing the cycle route; seen a number of cyclists stay in the cycle lane when going straight on when in fact at the junction it is really only suitable for left turns.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oh FFS

"'It's a joke!' Driver sparks debate over Highway Code plans to give cyclists priority over drivers - Leicestershire Live" https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/its-joke-driver-sparks-debate-5737855
Nowt new, Road Tax(abolished by Churchill in 1937) which they don't pay either.
Insurance, many may already it.
Sit a test, there's a test centre near me where the instructors seem to forget which side of the road they're supposed to drive on. How do those they're instructing learn, and what.

Daninplymouth

Love this comment...

Unless Danny MacAskill was practicing for a new video, what's the betting this was the driver pulling out without looking

We get all these comments in my local rag too, at least now they aim them at escooters to which takes some flak off the cyclists. The one I don’t get is the amount of people saying they’ve had a bike crash in to them and ride off, I mean if the cyclist can just ride off it’s not really a crash is it.

Mike_P

Guru
Probably a "crash" like I had when a car exiting a petrol station stopped and I was cycling in front of it on a shared pavement when it rolled forward. Separate issue is the complete lack of any cycleway markings or signs beyond very worn painting on the pavement beyond the petrol station exit, would have thought a sign at least should have been put at the exit.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
My driving instructor, over a decade ago now, told me that mirror-signal-manoeuvre was outdated and that they were now teaching MSPSL: mirror-signal-position-speed-look, with the emphasis on the final 'look'. That doesn't seem to have entered the public consciousness though, it's a bit less catchy. Can anyone who's learned to drive within the last ten years tell us what they were taught?

I took (Motorcycle) lessons, and a test, about 10 years ago. I do not recall the MSPSL acronym as such, but, the "final look" was most definitely emphasised (my instructor called it "your life saver"). ;)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
From the article: " The other proposal which we most strongly object to is a new rule that gives cyclist a right of way to undertake turning vehicles. "

I have no idea if this is indeed a new change but if it is, I'm totally with the truckers on this one.
As far as I can see, it is intended to stop the 'left-hook', where a motor vehicle barely passes a cyclist then turns across them.

classic33

Leg End Member

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Doesn't the RHA represent the interests of the companies, not the drivers of those companies.
Indeed. Drivers giving way less means faster deliveries and lower insurance payouts after collisions means lower premiums. More money for the companies but drivers still under pressure and traumatised.

Is it the same RHA that welcomed the relaxation of drivers hours last year?
https://www.rha.uk.net/news/news-bl...s-relaxation-good-news-for-consumers-says-rha
That's the one. Fark other road users, eh?

Top Bottom