Highway code rule H2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Which might not be an unreasonable position to take, provided that you don't then proceed to argue that motorists need to follow all the guidance just because.
Does anyone think H2 finally bringing us explicitly into line with most neighbouring countries is "just because"?

You also need to be mindful of contributing to a state of anarchy where everyone decides for themselves what is safe and which rules they are obliged to follow.

The code already says which are obligations and which are guidance. It should probably make it clear that "I don't wanna" is not a good reason to ignore guidance, but knowing the research doesn't support the code and it impacts nobody else is.

It would be far better if the evidence-free rules had been removed in this edition, though.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Does anyone think H2 finally bringing us explicitly into line with most neighbouring countries is "just because"?

Please imagine the words 'it's guidance' after the phrase 'just because'.

You can't disregard guidance on your own personal whim and then expect people to act a certain way only because the guidance tells them to.

Wrong! Clearly driving without due care and consideration. A pedestrian crossing a side road has priority over a driver turning into the side road.

Yes - if the pedestrian IS crossing.
However if they are just waiting then you only SHOULD give way to them - hence no offence as long as they were not actually crossing

Maybe I was being unclear what I meant

mjr

However if they are just waiting then you only SHOULD give way to them - hence no offence as long as they were not actually crossing

No offence in itself, but do we agree that ignoring sufficient HC guidance without good reasons, or ignoring it sufficiently egregiously, lays one open to a charge of carelessness?

No offence in itself, but do we agree that ignoring sufficient HC guidance without good reasons, or ignoring it sufficiently egregiously, lays one open to a charge of carelessness?

Yes - if there is a problem - like a collision - then it could be assessed as careless if you had been able to see them waiting to cross and made no attempt to wait without a good reason

I actually had someone wait for me today - I was walking and he was in a car waiting to turn right into the side road
It was quite a surprise as I have never noticed it ona right turn before
But he was correct according to the HC
nice to see!

mjr

I actually had someone wait for me today - I was walking and he was in a car waiting to turn right into the side road
It was quite a surprise as I have never noticed it ona right turn before
But he was correct according to the HC
nice to see!
That is almost normal near me now. Yesterday, two drivers turning OUT stopped short to let me cycle across, which seems rarer.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I took 18 Scouts on a night bike ride last yesterday evening and still had drivers trying to plough through the group pulling out of a side road over the cycle path and that was with an adult blocking the way. I sometimes despair for humanity.

mjr

I took 18 Scouts on a night bike ride last yesterday evening and still had drivers trying to plough through the group pulling out of a side road over the cycle path and that was with an adult blocking the way. I sometimes despair for humanity.
Are you allowed to video your rides and report these morons to police, or does safeguarding of the kids prevent it?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Are you allowed to video your rides and report these morons to police, or does safeguarding of the kids prevent it?

That's a good idea - we have a second ride on Friday so I will throw my camera on the bars

As a retired teacher I would advise using a separate recording device for this and not your own

Something that can easily be erased when there is know to be no need to use the footage and until then kept in a secure place where several people know where it is.
I know it seems OTT but if you are working with kids then you never know what might crop up

AT a primary school where I was (among other things) the IT Technician, the Head had to make it VERY clear to all staff that recording anything on site on their own phones and camera we banned - which was triggered by a case we found out about, at a different school, where a teacher was accused (wrongly!) and it all went further than it ever needed to go when the Police found lots of videos of kids on his phone.
All the videos were work based - but things like little girls in short skirts (i.e. PE kit) linked to the (wrong) allegation) gave room for (incorrect) doubt!

sorry - be a downer - but.......

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As a retired teacher I would advise using a separate recording device for this and not your own

Something that can easily be erased when there is know to be no need to use the footage and until then kept in a secure place where several people know where it is.
I know it seems OTT but if you are working with kids then you never know what might crop up

AT a primary school where I was (among other things) the IT Technician, the Head had to make it VERY clear to all staff that recording anything on site on their own phones and camera we banned - which was triggered by a case we found out about, at a different school, where a teacher was accused (wrongly!) and it all went further than it ever needed to go when the Police found lots of videos of kids on his phone.
All the videos were work based - but things like little girls in short skirts (i.e. PE kit) linked to the (wrong) allegation) gave room for (incorrect) doubt!

sorry - be a downer - but.......

Thanks, but we have strong processes already.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I am of an age when hand signals were included in the driving test. I still use them occasionally to reinforce that I am turning right. Very relevant as our house is just after a RH turn and just before a RH turn.

Yes, we too do the same. We have a private parking spot in the town that necessitates a right turn from a busy road into a narrow private road.

RH arm out every time.

Top Bottom